The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer, including signs, symptoms & what happens to the body in each stage of cancer.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Cancer Get the facts you need about cancer.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. David M Chan
Dr. David M Chan, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Redondo Beach, CA. He has 39 years of experience. His specialties include Medical Oncology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Chan is affiliated with Torrance Memorial Medical Center. Dr. Chan has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. David M Chan has the following 2 specialties
- Medical Oncology
Think of an oncologist as your main physician for cancer care. After being diagnosed, you’ll meet regularly with an oncologist to explore and manage your treatment options, as well as monitor your condition throughout the process. Medical oncologists are extremely knowledgeable in various types of cancer treatment and can recommend the right method for the type and stage of cancer you’re facing.
They may also refer you to additional specialists throughout your care, but they will always be your home base for questions and support. It’s also worth mentioning that medical oncologists deal mostly with solid tumors while hematologists specialize in cancers that involve blood disorders, such as leukemia.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. David M Chan has the following 5 expertise
- Cancerous Tumor
- Lung Cancer
Dr. David M Chan has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 19
Excellent clinician but needs work on people skills Can be VERY abrupt and short temperated by patient inquiries or new treatment options. If you do not ask for information he does not volunteer. I understand his field choice is a trying one, but his demeanor is well known in the medical community and it would be to his benefit if he could expand his services to include individual counseling on things such as nutrition, new meds, tests etc especially given his practice has full access to Torrance Memorial Hospital and the$$$ it has spent to by its own admission better serve its patient base. I do refer his team but go in with realistic personality expections. A warm, chatty he is not.
Dr. Chan saved my life when he pushed for radiaton and surgery for my colorectal cancer three years ago. He is not "warm and fuzzy" and I understand that. A doctor treating cancer patients would be emotionally drained by the end of the day if he let his emotions take over. Dr, Chan listens and is direct with the procedures and options. The waiting time can be long, but I don't mind. I believe the wait is worth while when the doctor spends a little extra time with the patients who are dealing with courageous decisions.
I really do not recommend Dr. David Chan for anyone diagnosed with lung cancer. There were signs that my father was forgetting things, could not speak in complete sentences and personality change. I told Dr. Chan on three different occasions this fact, and did not do anything until it was way too late. My father's MRI (which should have been taken 6 months ago) showed several tumors throughout his brain, one being an inch in diameter. I did research online, and it says everywhere how with stage 4 lung cancer, there is a huge chance it will metastasize in the brain.Why Dr. Chan didn't know this, I don't know. In addition, when Dr. Chan requested a radiation treatment, he spoke as if my father was going to come back to normal after the end of treatment. He never told us that there would be a chance that the radiation would k i l l him faster and put him through more pain, nausea, and weakness. My father would have lived longer if the brain tumors were caught early. Also, he would of had a better quality of life without the radiation treatment. He was bascially a vegetable towards the end of his treatment, which all happened within two weeks. My father was a great man. He was working towards world peace and encouraged so many people all over. More than 300 people will be attending his memorial service.
Dr. Chan is an excellent oncologist. He is well respected and is a highly seasoned veteran of oncology. The waiting period can be rather long( 50 minutes), but I know he is one of the best in the field. I make sure to have my questions written down before seeing him as he is busy and will exit the exam room if not prompted to stay and answer a question or two. All in all, I am pleased he is my doctor.
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Chan is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
39 Years Experience
University Of California Los Angeles David Geffen School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Stanford University School Of Medicine
Dr. David M Chan accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsCancer Care Associates, 514 N Prospect Ave Fl 4, Redondo Beach, CA
Dr. David M Chan is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Redondo Beach, CA.