Have you seen Dr. David A Coons?

Well to start with I'm still a little sore from injection for shoulder injury from a bad fall. That was/is expected having had them before. My wait was fast enough for me to barely have my paperwork filled out. Maybe 15 min. P.A. was thorough, kind, and understanding with preliminaries. We shared amusing stories. Dr. Coons asked appropriate questions and answered any of mine. We mutually agreed an injection would help my shoulder until completely healed. Injection was so fast and very little pain. It was over before I knew it. I expect good results and was very happy with Dr. Coons and his staff. In and out in a timely manner. Kind and efficient. Happy that I didn't have to drive to Seattle to get good care as I have in the past.

Refuse to see him again

My visit with Dr. Coons was horrible. I went to see him because my PCP referred me to him for shoulder instability and to talk about possibly having surgery to tighten the ligaments. I had seen my physical therapist the day before for an initial evaluation, and she said that my shoulder is unstable and ‘loose as a goose’. Let me mention that I have a connective tissue disease (this will tie in to my visit with Coons) called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, so caution is needed when handling my joints because they can sublux (minorly dislocate) very easily. Dr. Coons was aware that I have EDS, but he treated me roughly when he was ‘examining’ me. He proceeded to not tell me what he was doing (other than saying he was going to ‘examine’ my shoulder), and he grabbed my arm roughly and pulled on it as hard as he could, and dug his fingers into my shoulder joint to move it around. Each time I winced or said ouch (at this point I had tears on my eyes and was squirming because it hurt so bad), he got annoyed and told me to “relax”. My grandma was with me and witnessed this. As I was sitting on the table holding my shoulder after his rough handling, he proceeded to tell me that my “shoulder is stable and is not lax, I don’t know why it hurts”. He completely contradicted what my physical therapist found. His whole demeanor was “you’re going to have to deal with it”. He wouldn’t even order an X-ray or give me any advice. My grandma and I were so appalled by how he treated me. I was in horrible pain after he ‘examined’ me. I did not say it was ok for him to treat me as roughly as he did, and for a doctor to physically make my joint sublux and lie to my face and say that it “doesn’t move” is sickening. If he treats other patients like this, he doesn’t deserve to be a doctor. Heed my warning, do not go to him. He may be good to others with an easy fix, but he was horrible to me. I refuse to go back to him.

Dr Coons treated me for a shoulder injury and was very informative, kind and professional.I have always had good care from him and his staff. His nurse, Lisa is great. She really cares about the patients and always takes time to help answer questions. Sometimes the wait is a little long to be seen but it is worth the wait. Great doctor and great staff!

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries and two knee surgeries performed by Dr.Coons, I am getting ready to have a knee replacement by him. He is very professional, has a great sense of humor, and us straiy up, about all procedures I highly recommend him.

He did a first rate job on my shoulder

I saw Dr. Coons and left angry and frustrated. I have some problems with my knee feeling as though it is not going to support me. It comes and goes and is VERY painful to move when it is acting up. I have to wear a brace when this happens. He started off by calling me "my dear" and telling me that first of all I really ought to lose some weight. (DUH!). He then proceeded to examine the knee, and though I told him I had fibromyalgia, he palpated the knee and then pressed on a known fibromyalgia trigger point, causing me to yell out in pain, and did not stop immediately. He then told me that my knee was stable, there was not likely much he could do to help me and I should lose weight. He also suggested physical therapy. He called me "Dear," several times during my visit. I am a 47 year old woman and do not care to be patronized. Very unprofessional and he did not come across to me as very caring. Obviously he has a weight bias, meaning that if someone is overweight, that must be the cause of all their problems and therefore there is nothing wrong otherwise. At least, that is how he came across. I will NEVER see him again, nor will I recommend him. I rated him a 1 star because ZERO is not an option!

great Dr, would highly recomend

David is a skilled Doctor who takes the time to listen to his patients. He works through solutions that work for the patient and strives for the best possible outcome.

Did a knee repair. Knee didn't heal right. Saw him approx 3 months, six months and a little over a year with the same complaint of where it hurts and the horrible swelling since surgery but all he does is shoot me with cortisone and tell me to loose weight.

ACL replacement

I had an ACL replacement three weeks ago by Dr. Coons. The preopp meeting was very informational and assuring. Dr. Coons conveyed his expertise in the procedure and walked me through the operation and the postopp expectations. The staff supporting Dr. Coons were very professional and welcoming. The operation went very well acording to the doctors report and the discussion Dr. Coons had with my wife after the operation. I have no pain resulting from the surgery, some stiffness which is to be expected. His efforts are greatly appreciated. I would highly recommend Dr. Coons to any one needing knee surgery. He rates high on my list of medical providers.

I have gone to other DO's

I have gone to other DO's and there is always a long wait in the waiting room this does not happen with Dr. Coons. He is very nice to talk to and he explains what he is doing. He gives you all your options and the possible outcome of each. My Sister was so impressed she has asked her doctor to give her a refural to him for her Knees and shoulders.

Disgusted with COONS

surgery yes okay good But his bedside manner sucks and just when you think he is with you on decisions he crosses the line when he starts cowering down and lets the claim agents tell him what to do PLUS he OVER uses the MRI 'S & dye tactics I thoroughly am disgusted with him sending my husband to yet another one after he had just had one less than three months go then to try and talk to him one on one is impossible I am a wife and I have questions and concerns and not only did he look mad but he blew me off like I don't matter....DR Coons wake up or cut down your work load you are NOT HUMAN anymore I hope for your sake you never have to go through this and if so I hope you you get the crappy attitude you dealt out to so many that trusted you after this if there is another time to choose a surgeon it will NOT BE YOU ....TRUST ME

Dr. David A Coons is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Gig Harbor, WA.