Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. David A Hafler MD
Dr. David A Hafler, MD is a Doctor primarily located in New Haven, CT, with other offices in North Haven, CT and New Haven, CT (and 1 other location). He has 40 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Hafler is affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital and Yale-New Haven Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. David A Hafler has 4 locations
800 Howard Ave Lowr Lvl
New Haven, CT 06519
15 York St
New Haven, CT 06510
6 Devine St Ste 2B
North Haven, CT 06473
Book Online Now
Dr. David A Hafler has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. David A Hafler has the following 11 expertise
- Paraplegia (Tropical Spastic Paraparesis)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Demyelinating Diseases
- Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis
- HTLV-I Infections (Human T-lymphotrophic Virus)
- Multiple Sclerosis (Multiple Sclerosis, Acute Relapsing)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Migraine Disorders
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Hafler is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
40 Years Experience
University Of Miami Leonard M Miller School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1978
New York Presbyterian Hospital
Dr. David A Hafler Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna CT AWH MC OA w/Pediatric Dental
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem CT HMO BlueCare
- Anthem CT Pathway X Enhanced Ind HMO
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
- Anthem Pathway X Ind PPO Direct Access CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Connecticare Passage
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. David A Hafler
Dr. Hafler is a clinical neurologist trained experimentally as an immunologist. He heads the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology in the Center for Neurologic Diseases of Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Womens Hospital and is an Associate Member of the Broad Institute of Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Haflers research has characterized human immune responses to autoantigens, developed an understanding of the underlying loss of regulation of immune responses leading to human autoimmune disease, and is actively involved in identifying the genetic variation associated with human inflammatory immune responses. As a clinician actively engaged in the development of clinical trials, his laboratory is actively engaged in the translation of experimental findings to therapies for human diseases.
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. David A Hafler, MD - Neurology in New Haven, CT, in this video.
Dr. David A Hafler is similar to the following 4 Doctors near New Haven, CT.