Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. David W Monahan has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Hepatitis C
- Pancreas inflammation (Pancreatitis)
- Sepsis (Blood Poisoning)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Celiac Disease
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 14
Had a colonoscopy and myself and my daughter were told that nothing was found, then I received a bill in the mail. When I called the office they told me that they found 2 polyps, well you see its covered 100% but if something is found then its considered surgery and guess what more money in the doctors pockets. I tried to fight it, but suddenly my file said they found 2 polyps.. Do not go here !
Dr. Monohan has been great with my daughter. He spends time with us during office visits and answers questions well. He has worked hard to find a diagnosis for her and give us solutions. Unfortunately his office where he practices is not so great. I am not sure if they are just overwhelmed or trying to avoid helping patients. I have left messages with a nurse twice and although they do call you back fairly quickly, they do not give you any more information than you started with, basically just repeating doctors orders.
The office manager helped me once and even hugged me at an appointment and appologized for the lack of communication.When you call the doctor out on uneducated things he has said to you or scripts he forgot to give you. Or says he's doing my other doctor a favor, he gets angry and defensive and then tells you to see someone else without a good reason, leaving you with unfinished treatments!
Dr. Monahan is an excellent doctor. His staff at the Surgical Center are very good and makes the incoming patient feel well cared for. Great surgical office team. Dr. Monahan's personal office team is OK. There are so many technicians or assistants running around the office that it causes confusion. They also left two very important forms out of my surgical preparation package. When I called to inform them they were missing they were not too happy with me. As if it was my error!
37 Years Experience
Wake Forest University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1981
United States Army Medical Center
Dr. David W Monahan accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsFall Hill Gastroenterology Assoc, 2601 Fall Hill Ave, Fredericksburg, VA
Dr. David W Monahan is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Fredericksburg, VA.