Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. David A Schlagel has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. David A Schlagel has the following 16 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Dementia Related Behavioral Disorders
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Clinical Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
Dr. David A Schlagel has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. David A Schlagel is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 13
I have had him probably 8 years or more and I am sad that he is leaving in July. Mayo clinic will be losing one of the best doctors they could ever have. He has been so compassionate and caring and has always tried to help in anyway he could to make my life a little easier for me. You will never find a doctor who will go the extra mile for you and who cares for you as much as he does. I have seen so many Psychiatrists over the years and I have lost others before, but I can truly say he is the one I will miss and probably never be able to forget. I do not want to change doctors again because I have had to so many times and changing to a new psychiatrist is one of the most difficult you will ever have.
The best doctor I've ever worked with (psychiatrist or other specialty) hands down. Cares, truly wants the best for his patients, and considers a variety of options including but, most importantly, not limited to medications. If someone close to me needed to see a psychiatrist there would be no hesitation in my recommending Dr. Schlagel.
On-Time Doctor Award (2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
16 Years Experience
Medical College Of Wisconsin
Graduated in 2002
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsAvera Medical Group University Psychiatry Associates Sioux Falls, 4400 W 69th St Ste 1500, Sioux Falls, SD
Dr. David A Schlagel is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Sioux Falls, SD.