Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. David R Silvers
Dr. David R Silvers, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Metairie, LA. He has 39 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. Dr. Silvers is affiliated with East Jefferson General Hospital. Dr. Silvers has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. David R Silvers has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Nutritional Support
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Celiac Disease
- Hepatitis C
- Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
- Crohn's Disease
- Swallowing disorder (Deglutition Disorder)
- Liver Diseases
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Peptic Ulcer (Duodenal Ulcer)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 28
I went to a different Gastroenterolgist before I made an appointment with Dr. Silvers and because I wasn't very comfortable or impressed with the other group's physician so I decided to see Dr. Silvers after a referral from a friend. He is such an easy to talk to, caring doctor. When you have to see a doctor of this nature it's easy to be uncomfortable to begin with, somehow he really helps to make the anaxity go away.
I have been to Dr. Silvers for many many years. Dr. Silvers is excellent in his profession.Very very proficient.He is the best as for as I am concerned. You could not ask for a better doctor. Caring and concerning. Wonderful bedside manner. Courtesty and professionalism of he and his stall. Dr. Silvers is a gift to the health care profession.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016, 2010, 2015, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2010, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2014)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Silvers is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
39 Years Experience
Tulane University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Baylor College Of Medicine
Dr. David R Silvers accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsMetairie Gastroenterology, 4228 Houma Blvd Ste 120, Metairie, LA
Dr. David R Silvers is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Metairie, LA.