Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. David B Stoeckle
Dr. David B Stoeckle, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Blacksburg, VA, with another office in Blacksburg, VA. He has 46 years of experience. His specialties include Surgery. Dr. Stoeckle is affiliated with LewisGale Hospital - Pulaski. Dr. Stoeckle has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. David B Stoeckle has the following 1 specialty
Dr. David B Stoeckle has the following 9 expertise
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Hypovolemia (Low Blood Volume)
- Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
- Laparoscopic Surgery (Laparoscopy)
- Digestive System Abnormalities
- Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery (Cholecystectomy)
Dr. David B Stoeckle has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. David B Stoeckle is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 29
I've seen Dr. Stoeckle for 30 years now. I have always been pleased with his bedside manner. He genuinely cares about folks. He has done two surgeries that improved my life 100 percent. The after care was exceptional, getting a work-in visit was very easy. They really do care about the people who come to them. I like his straight-up attitude with me and the respect he shows me. I trust Dr. Stoeckle, and he has never failed me. He has that old fashioned work ethic and so much empathy for folks. I highly recommend him.
I had an undiagnosed condition that required surgery to diagnose. I found Dr. Stoeckle to be very polite with an excellent bedside manner. However, I do not think his recommendation of laproscopic surgery was in my best interest. He said that the recovery time would be much shorter and easier for me, and while I appreciate that perspective, my CT scans and ultrasound showed an organ that could/should not be removed lapro due to it's size (larger than my liver). Luckily, I sought a second opinion from a specialist at UVA who ended up performing the surgery via open abdominal. During the surgery they discovered several incredibly enlarged, paper thin blood vessels. Also, the organ was so large they were barely able to remove it through the incision that spanned my entire abdomen. What Dr. Stoeckle told me would take an hour or 2 via lapro was a 5.5 hour open procedure due to the complexity. My surgeon believes that laproscopic surgery could have caused serious complications due to blood loss or worse, death. Also, I had a very rare condition (less than 100 in the world), and a pathology report on a bag of mush from lapro removal would not have been possible. The whole organ was needed in tact for an accurate diagnosis. As my UVA surgeon said, "Just because we have laproscopic surgery as a tool, does not mean we should use it." Also, Dr. Stoeckle had recommended a total colon cleanse prior to my surgery. UVA did not recommend this and when I asked they told me that it was unnecessary due to the area of surgery. Since Dr. Stoeckle's specialty appears to be colon and other gastro surgery, I'm assuming that he was just giving me the "one size fits all" solution which would have been an uncomfortable experience for me for no benefit. I feel the lapro recommendation was also a "one size fits all" solution without really studying my case. Ultimately, I shudder to think what may have happened to me without my 2nd opinion.
Took great care of my daughter
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2015, 2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Stoeckle is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
46 Years Experience
Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons
Graduated in 1972
Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital
Dr. David B Stoeckle accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. David B Stoeckle in this video.
Dr. David B Stoeckle is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Blacksburg, VA.