Get the facts about clinical depression, including the symptoms and related depressive disorders.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- Schizophrenia Facts about schizophrenia, including the different types.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Facts about Tardive Dyskinesia, including symptoms and treatment
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Derek O'Brien
Dr. Derek O'Brien, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Atlanta, GA, with another office in Atlanta, GA. He has 20 years of experience. His specialties include Psychiatry. Dr. O'Brien is affiliated with Gwinnett Medical Center - Duluth, Ridgeview Institute and Gwinnett Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Derek O'Brien has the following 1 specialty
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
Dr. O'Brien was the first psychiatrist I saw when I first moved here. At first, Dr. O'Brien was what I call a "checklist doctor" who read off a list of symptoms, then confirm whether I've experienced them recently. Gradually, our sessions evolved to be more engaging. He was very instrumental in providing documentation of my treatment during a difficult legal matter. He also worked well in conjunction with my therapist who also practiced at the same public mental health facility. He was also open to tweaking my medications during life changes such as omitting or decreasing medications that caused me to be drowsy when I reported that I had gone back to work full-time. I was sorry to hear that he left the center, but it is probably hard to keep good doctors at public health facilities.
Dr. O'Brien is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Gwinnett Medical Center - Duluth
Gwinnett Medical Center
20 Years Experience
Graduated in 1993
Dr. Derek O'Brien accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Derek O'Brien is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Atlanta, GA.