Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Donald A Smith
Dr. Donald A Smith, MD is a Doctor primarily located in New York, NY. He has 51 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism. Dr. Smith is affiliated with Mount Sinai Hospital. Dr. Smith has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Donald A Smith has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Lipid Metabolism Disorders
- Cushing Disease
- Clinical Research
- Lipid Disorders
- Diabetes (Types I & II)
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Gland Issues
- Weight Loss
- Addison Disease
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
I have been following Dr. Smith for extremely elevated cholesterol in the setting of advanced heart disease. I was losing hope but he started me on the new PCSK9 inhibitors combined with focused optimism and I have never felt better about my future. I am incredibly thankful for his service, concern, and unparalleled professionalism.
What a competent and kindly doctor! He exudes such knowledge and readily shares it with his patients. He sits with me at least 15 minutes per visit and carefully reviews all my numbers for cholesterol, sugar, etc. We develop a game plan and monitor my progress. Modern medicine may be wonderful but Dr. Smith bridges eras and is the best of both worlds. See him!
Patients' Choice Award (2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
51 Years Experience
Harvard Medical School
Graduated in 1967
Montefiore Medical Center
Dr. Donald A Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Metro
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsMount Sinai School of Medicine, 5 E 98th St, New York, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Donald A Smith in this video.
Dr. Donald A Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.