Dr. Donald S Higgins Jr Is this you?

5 Ratings • 1 Comment

4.7

Have you seen Dr. Donald S Higgins Jr?

Patient Centered Provider for Veterans with Dystonia and Movement Disorders

I was not properly Dx with Hemi Dystonia. I ended up in a nursing home and was told I had diabetic neuropathy. I knew they were wrong but know one would listen. However, as my body started to deteriorte I was fortunate to meet Dr. Higgins. Dr. Higgins has set me on the right path to help lesson the my dystonia episodes. I am wheelchair/bed bound (major fall risk)and have a contracted right foot. The movements are scary to look at. However, Dr. Higgins gave me hope. I am a 33 year old Veteran female, married with two wonderful children. Dr. Higgins listened to me, and where other providers failed he gave me insite and hope. I have been given more freedom and relief. He also is very experienced and caring. As a former employee of the VA, I knew of his expertise. Yesterday I made supper for my family, and met my daughter at the bus stop with my new wheelchair. I feel safe and properly cared for. I do not know where I would be if it was not for Dr. Higgins. I am on Levadopa Carbidopa and Artane, and botox. He understands I do not want to use opiates in my treatment unless absolutely necessary. I believe in an acceptable level of pain and discomfort. Due to my experience with patients and the possible dependence on these medications. He stands by my judgement. Although I am home bound he promptly returns my calls with genuine understanding and caring. The Albany VA is fortunate to have Dr. Higgins, and our neurology team they are truly professional, and assist our Veteran with care and compassion. Thank you for the opportunity to rate Dr. Higgins.