Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- HIV/AIDS The differences between HIV & AIDS; signs, symptoms & complications.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Shingles Facts about shingles, including symptoms & possible long-term effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Donald M Poretz
Dr. Donald M Poretz, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Annandale, VA. He has 52 years of experience. His specialties include Infectious Disease and Internal Medicine. Dr. Poretz is affiliated with Inova Fairfax Hospital and Novant Health Uva Health System Prince William Medical Cntr. He speaks English.
Dr. Donald M Poretz has the following 2 specialties
- Infectious Disease
An infectious disease specialist has specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of contagious diseases.
Infectious diseases, also known as contagious or transmissible diseases, are those that stem from pathogen from a host organism. These infections may spread to other carriers through physical touch, airborne inhalation, bodily fluids or contaminated foods.
Infectious disease specialists identify whether the disease is caused by bacteria, a virus, a fungus or a parasite often through blood tests and then determine what course of treatment, if any, is necessary.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Donald M Poretz has the following 15 expertise
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS)
- Nutritional Support
- Bone marrow inflammation (Osteomyelitis)
- Infectious Disease
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
- Sports Medicine
- Infectious Skin Diseases
- Hepatitis C
- Preventive Medicine
- AIDS/HIV (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
- HIV Infections
Dr. Donald M Poretz is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 15
I found Dr Poretz to be exception. Great bedside manner. Explained everything and very much wanted me to understand the choices and implications of decisions. He made it feel like a collaboration. Also, I rarely had to wait and if so, not for long. I am not a medical doctor, but he appeared to be right on top of things as I was able confirm elements subsequently with other doctors over time.
I already wrote once - but then it got worse. I asked to have my lab results sent to me. and I DID test positive for ANA and for other blood tests!!! I called 3x to speak to someone and she (the nurse) quickly said "You're negative". well I wasn't negative - I was positive on 2 tests. she didn't even say for what or what tests they did. taking my lab records and going to a doctor who gives cares
Dr. Poretz was condescending and only seemed care about who sent me to him and that he "didn't know" my PCPs. I have had a recurring staph infection, bone and joint pain, and had an HLA B27 marker show up as reactive arthritis to an infection. He said "you look good to me" so he ran some tests, I had to call back 3 times to get the results - his nurse said "they were negative", she didn't tell me what tests they ran. very condescending and not helpful at all. I will not go back to him.
Dr. Poretz literally saved my life when I was 28, and demonstrated nothing but excellence as a physician and as a human being then, and throughout the years since - 35 years. His diagnoses over the years have been right on, as I have returned to him whenever I have faced unexplained health issues. He is always there for me, and always runs a full and complete battery of tests needed, to help get me answers to the unanswerable at times. This is a first class doctor - If you want a doctor who is excellent, and who really cares about his patients, go to Dr. Poretz. I have always known other patients who thought the same as I, and have even had numerous other doctors and health care providers speak exceptionally highly of Dr. Poretz. Dr. Poretz is the the kind of doctor that all doctors should be, or at least, aspire to be. I do not believe any of the negative other comments/reviews of Dr. Poretz that I just read at this site. Impossible. Not the same person that I've known as his patient for now 35 years.
Dr. Poretz is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
52 Years Experience
Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1966
Medical College Of Virginia Hospital
Dr. Donald M Poretz accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Aetna Innovation Health
- Aetna VA Signature Gold HMO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsInfectious Diseases Physician Inc, 3289 Woodburn Rd Ste 200, Annandale, VA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Donald M Poretz in this video.
Dr. Donald M Poretz is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Annandale, VA.