Get the facts about chronic pain, including body parts that are most commonly affected and complications that can arise from the condition.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Insomnia Facts about insomnia; who gets it and what causes it.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Dorothy A Lyons has the following 1 specialty
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Migraine Disorder
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Nerve Conduction Studies
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 11
OK so I have to admit when I first met this doctor I did not like her. She has a tough no nonsense bedside manner that sometimes made conversations exhausting. However looking back I realize I have a very rare neurological disease, with an unusual presentation of initial symptoms that is also extremely severe which is also rare. However she was the first doctor to reccomend I go to Duke to be seen, which was the BEST advise. The doctors here have never seen anything like it and I was very under treated and as a result very ill for a long time. I also realize now that starting me on meds for an incorrect diagnosis could have been VERY harmful to my health. I respect that she did not pretend to "know all" and refered me to Duke. I have also seen her in the hospital sience my Duke visit and she is not afraid to say she was wrong. (She did not think I have the disease I do.) she is not my neurologist but visits when I am in the hospital to see what is going on out of curiosity and a desire to learn, she has also become more polite. I believe my symptoms not presenting traditionally frustrated her. I would much rather have a competent doctor than a pleasant mediocre one. She is very intellegent and notices details. The sweetest doctor in the world may give you an incorrect diagnosis leading to needless suffering or worse out of ignorance/ inexperience or lack of real effort to solve the puzzle which is a real issue in neurology/autoimmune. I see she has some poor reviews probably due to bedside manner. However she really is a caring and dedicated doctor that wants to find answers and a accurate diagnosis. I would definitely recommend her. Just don't expect to have a lot of small talk or pleasantries she is straight to the point and gets right to work, telling you exactly what she thinks. That is respectable.
Dr. Dorothy A Lyons accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- PHCS PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Dorothy A Lyons is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Virginia Beach, VA.