Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Douglas A Helm
Dr. Douglas A Helm, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Fresno, CA. He has 36 years of experience. His specialties include Maternal & Fetal Medicine and Obstetrics & Gynecology. Dr. Helm is affiliated with Adventists Medical Center Reedley, Valley Childrens Hospital and Clovis Community Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Douglas A Helm has the following 2 specialties
- Maternal & Fetal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
Dr. Douglas A Helm has the following 2 expertise
- Hot Flashes
Dr. Douglas A Helm has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Douglas A Helm is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 35
So i read through all of these reviews, and most of them say basically the same thing...."wah....he was mean to me!" Here's the thing people. Dr. Is not there to tell you what you want to hear, he's not there to make you feel better about the reason you are high risk. He is there to do everything in his power and knowledge base to make sure we have healthy pregnancies and babies. I am obese and he also recommended to me that this should be my last pregnancy, and that I should have gastric bypass. Was it nice? No. Was it true? Yes. If he suggests a course of treatment and you disagree...then feel free to go elsewhere, no one is pointing a gun to your head, but don't bash the man for telling the truth, giving you the reality of the situation, and his professional opinion on course of action. Grow some thicker skin whiners. And the genetic counselor is great. She's a sweetie.
I was referred to Helm and will not go back. I went in for a consult and left the appt in tears. My husband wanted to punch him in the face. He has NO bedside manner, thinks he is GOD and questioned why my OB did what he did. He also told me that I should not be gaining any weight during my 3rd pregnancy and that I should look into gastric bypass surgery after I deliver. WTH! I do not recommend him or his office. We are filing a formal complaint with the Medical Board.
Doctor Helm seems to have no emotions or no manners. Walked in and didn't even look at me or introduce himself. The first words that came out of his mouth were, "well I can definitely see clots". Front desk workers are a bunch of snobby girls who obviously disregard manners, if they have any. I absolutely hate people who have such miserable lives that they make others' day a drag.
This place is TERRIBLE! The office that I have been going to is the one on E Illinois Ave, so maybe their other office is better, but I don't know. What I do know is that their staff is rude, disorganized, insensitive and inconsiderate. Maybe they are okay as far as their medical knowledge, but at what cost??? They repeatedly screwed up on scheduling my appointments and insisted that it was my fault. Then the receptionist clearly demonstrated her incompetence regarding the scheduling while we were trying to sort it out, only to become so frustrated with the situation that she refused to continue to investigate what the problem was to begin with. I might add that part of the confusion with the scheduling was due to the fact that they insisted that I come down to their office (I live two hours away in the mountains mind you) for two different procedures that could very well have been done on the same day. They cited insurance and billing as the reasoning for needing to do them on different days. REALLY??? So, this is a very clear demonstration that this office, if not the medical industry as a whole is much more concerned with profits than the actual well being of a patient. I can't understand how any doctor serious about a patient's health would find it reasonable to tell a pregnant lady, on disability and having complications that she should spend 8 hours driving in the 100 degree heat in a matter of less than two days. The final straw that broke the camel's back though was when I did return for the second appointment in two days I opted to bring my husband and 3 year old with me. When we arrived at the office we were told that my family (specifically my child-who was supervised by his father) was NOT WELCOME to WAIT in the WAITING ROOM! Not just that they were not allowed in the exam room, which I could maybe have understood, but the WAITING ROOM. (Which was basically empty) They were told they had to either wait in the hall or in a lobby on the first floor, which was not in fact a lobby, but a tiny receptionist's office that did not have any chairs or magazines available. WHAT SORT OF OBGYN OFFICE IS THAT INSENSITIVE TO FAMILIES??? Also, after having over a half dozen appointment's at DR Helm's, I never once was even introduced to Dr. Helm or any other associated doctor. I was only seen by ultrasound technicians or nurses. Sure makes me feel important! I ended up leaving their office in tears on more than one occasion. This is not the way that anyone should be treated, certainly not a pregnant woman. If you need a perinatal specialist find someone else!
Dr. Helm is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
36 Years Experience
Keck School Of Medicine Of The University Of Southern California
Graduated in 1982
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
Dr. Douglas A Helm accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsPerinatal Associates Of Central Ca, 2210 E Illinois Ave Ste 308, Fresno, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Douglas A Helm in this video.
Dr. Douglas A Helm is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Fresno, CA.