Get the facts about skin cancer, including the different types and symptoms.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Alopecia Alopecia facts; different types of hair loss & what can cause it.
- Facelift Facts about facelifts, including the different types of procedures.
- Facial Wrinkles and Lines Find out what causes facial wrinkles and lines.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Non-Healing Wounds Facts about non-healing wounds, including different types & causes.
- Psoriasis Learn about the symptoms of different types of psoriasis.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Douglas D Altchek has the following 1 specialty
A dermatologist is a doctor who has extensive training and knowledge of the skin, scalp, hair and nails and treats conditions that affect those areas. These doctors will evaluate any abnormality, blemish or lesion on the skin in order to determine the cause and will determine a course of treatment.
Dermatologists provide patients with full body scans in order to identify any signs that are indicative of an illness that requires treatment, such as skin cancer. These specialists may also provide cosmetic services, such as mole removal, scar diminishing treatments and even botox and face lifts.
- Skin Cancer
- Acne Rosacea
- Basal Cell
- Actinic Keratosis
- Skin Biopsy
- Acne (Acne Vulgaris)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 13
I was visiting NYC and developed a drastic problem with my mouth. Dr. Altchek took one look at me and decided I had oral herpes. He did not take a swab so that he could culture it. He said that wasn't necessary. He said that what I had eaten or drunk had nothing to do with my lips and mouth swelling up, burning, and ulcerating. He prescribed $290 worth of drugs (Valtrex). In ten days the swelling went down. I got my personal physician to write me a prescription for herpes medicine, to take prophylactically for the rest of my life--even though blood tests showed no herpes. 3 weeks later, while on the medication, I got the mouth burning again, but worse. And again 3 weeks after that.Turns out I don't have herpes. I have an allergy to quinine water.If Dr. Altchek had done a herpes test, he would have found out that I did not have herpes. And he might have found out what my real problem was, so that i didn't have to suffer two more bouts.
I am a 50 plus female and have fair skin. I went to see this doctor as a new patient because I found a curious spot on my skin. I gave him my history of sun bathing. He looked at my curious spot for 2 seconds and said it as nothing. Great! Unfortunately, he didn't even ask to see the other parts of my body considering I'm fair skinned, older, and sun bathed as a youngster. He did the minimum. I was done in one minute.
I have been a patient of Dr. Altchek's for almost two years and find him to be an adequate doctor. However, his staff is horrible. They are unpleasant on the phone and make scheduling an appointment very difficult. I had a horrible rash once that needed non-emergency but immediate attention and was told the first available appointment they had was in two weeks and that I should either wait or find another doctor. The next time I needed to make an appointment, I informed the staff that my insurance had changed and gave them my updated insurance information. When I went in for my appointment, I gave them my insurance card and they made a copy. After waiting for half an hour to see the doctor, the one of his assistants called me back up to their desk and told me my insurance required a referral for dermatologists -- not something I had been aware of or was in writing in my policy. I was told to reschedule the appointment after having gotten a referral.
43 Years Experience
University Complutense De Madrid
Graduated in 1975
Mount Sinai Medical Center
Dr. Douglas D Altchek accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
HIP of NY
- Emblem HIP Select PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Metro
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsDouglas D Altchek Md, 115 E 61st St, New York, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Douglas D Altchek in this video.
Dr. Douglas D Altchek is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.