Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Edmund H Torkelson has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Showing 5 of 16
Easy to talk to, explains so I can understand, and very knowledgeable. Recommended by my cardiologist, who happens to be his GP too. I've been going to Dr. Torkelson for 5 years (as of 2015). The only negative is his office does not handle Medicare paperwork, so I have to pay for office visits out of my pocket --- but it is worth the extra expense.
I was in a accident and DR. Torkelson ordered an MRI and misdiagnosed my results of the MRI. Which in turn cost me thousands of dollars in co-pays/procedures! 1.5 yrs of horrible suffering from pain and jumping from Dr to Dr until I found a one who from the original MRI DR. Torkelson reviewed was able to diagnose the problem. This DR. even showed me the MRI which Torkelson never did. Even after needing 3 surgeries, DR Torkelson NEVER follow up on my care. Very disappointing. Even more disappointing is trying to find another primary care Dr.
Though I have excellent primary insurance, they would not accept me as I have Medicare as my secondary, due to disability, While I said I was willing to pay the co-pays (15%) and they did not need to bill Medicare, they wouldn't make an appointment. Their is a over 4 month wait to get in even if they did take me. If you are going to get old and be on Medicare (everybody will eventualy). Don't get established there if you plan to live past 65.
Dr. Torkelson always makes me feel like I am the most important patient he has. His diagnosis is accurate. His prescriptions starts to work immediately towards curing the problem. The Dr personally follows up and answers any questions that I may have. He is the kind of Family Doctor I grew up with. Highly recommend him!
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
27 Years Experience
Oregon Health & Science University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1991
St Vincent Hospital Medical Center
Dr. Edmund H Torkelson accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Net OR PPO
- Moda Health Connexus
- Moda Health Synergy Network
- PacificSource PSN
- PacificSource SmartHealth Oregon Members
- Premera Heritage Signature
- Premera Heritage and Heritage Plus 1
- Premera LifeWise Connect
Providence Health System
- Providence PPO
Regence Health Plans
- Regence OR Preferred Provider Network
- Regence WA Preferred Provider Network
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Locationttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr
Locations & DirectionsEdmund H Torkelson Do, 1960 NW 167th Pl Ste 204, Beaverton, OR
Dr. Edmund H Torkelson is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Beaverton, OR.