Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Ellis M Schwied has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
- Substance Abuse
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Birth Control
- Eating Disorders
Showing 5 of 19
My parents made me go see him after I was having some problems, and while I don't think he is a bad person, he wasn't a good doctor. i tried nearly 6 antidepressants in I'd say 4 months of seeing him. Also I dreaded the sessions because I just never felt comfortable opening up and my instinct was right because he would literally talk about himself and his life for nearly all of the appointment.
DR. Schwied is a great Psychiatrist I missed my first appointment, I called him later that day with an emergency due to a very close friend passing. I left a message and was called the next morning and Dr. Schwied made time for me without knowing me or if I would even keep my appointment and was still able to get to know me and do a proper analysis based on his skill and knowledge he is very easy to talk to and can read you and understand right away. There is no way you could say anything bad about this doctor he makes you feel like a human being not just another patient to deal with he really gets to know you and asks the right questions. I plan on going back and would recommend him to anyone that likes a Psychiatrist to actualy listen and get to know you so they may be given experienced Psychiatric care.
Dr. Schwied is a very nice man. I had to stop having him as a doctor though, I feel as he must have narcolepsy or something! He often started dozing off during sessions, I've never had anything like that happen to me, it was odd and I didn't even know what to say. I thought he was great until he started doing that. And I also noticed when coming to talk about my medications I always felt like I was pulling teeth, he would always say well what do you want to do? Well, I don't know, you're the psychiatrist, that's why I come here. I don't know enough about other medications. But honestly have a psychiatrist that is going to fall asleep on me isn't acceptable. He is a very nice man, and at times I felt I had finally found a good psychiatrist here in CA, but then he started falling asleep..
I agree with both the boundary issues comments as well as over prescribing meds -- just keep adding more if what you have isn't working. That is, if his records are organized enough to know that you're actually taking. Even more unnerving is the occasional lapse of patient confidentially. It may be occasional, but creates big problems.
42 Years Experience
Southern Illinois University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1976
Uc Irvine Medical Center
Dr. Ellis M Schwied accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsEllis Michael Schwied Md, 30100 Town Center Dr Ste O307, Laguna Niguel, CA
Dr. Ellis M Schwied is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Laguna Niguel, CA.