Dr. Erfan Hussain Is this you?

2.0

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Erfan Hussain?

To the above:

You do not understand the purpose of an intensive care unit. You are not to be coddled and doted, but treated with measures supported by evidence-based medicine and then downgraded back to the regular floors. Either your reason for intensive care admission was not valid (only 10 hours?), or, you are a liar.

Can't treat you if he doesn't see you

I was in the Intensive Care Unit of North Shore LIJ Hospital for 10 hours of Dr. Hussain's shift. I did not see him once. Instead, every interaction that I had was handled through a nurse or a resident (BTW, nurses here are great). He did, however, have time to make the rounds with his residents and discuss my case within earshot just outside of my room. Here I learned that I would soon be moved to a less intensive care setting. Hussain must be an amazing doctor if he can determine a patient's status through charts and secondhand interviewing. Needless to say, I nearly went M.A.D.A. and got the heck out of there.