Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans of all ages have asthma. Prepare to talk to your doctor about symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Cystic Fibrosis Facts about cystic fibrosis, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Eric J Adkins MD
Dr. Eric J Adkins, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Columbus, OH. He has 16 years of experience. His specialties include Critical Care Medicine, Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Disease. He speaks English.
Dr. Eric J Adkins has the following 3 specialties
- Critical Care Medicine
Also sometimes referred to as intensivists, critical care specialists are physicians with specialized training in the diagnosis and management of life-threatening conditions. Some of these conditions affect vital organs like the heart and lungs, those that make breathing difficult or impossible, and those that affect entire organ systems, like the renal system.
Critical care specialists are typically found in a hospital's intensive care unit where they monitor patients with life-threatening conditions and make determinations as to the best course of treatment.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
Dr. Eric J Adkins has the following 1 expertise
Dr. Eric J Adkins is Board Certified in 3 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
Self-verified patient of Dr. Eric J Adkins - Posted on May 4th, 2011
A worthless dunce. Truly disgraceful.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Eric J Adkins - Posted on January 5th, 2011
He was the ER attending. Twice misconstrued my simple, explicit explanation of the problem. Told me he could not help me with what was a clear medical emergency with acute onset. Worse, he Offered ABSOLUTELY no medical comments, suggestions, or analysis regarding the problem. In the face of an emergency, he simply gave the number of another department of the hospital. When I reminded him that this would ultimately mean that I would not be able to see a doctor for around a month, (I would have to schedule an appointment and wait for the next availability), and that he had been thoroughly unhelpful, he paraphrased his previous (vacuous) comments. He is a true disgrace to the medical community.
16 Years Experience
West Virginia University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2003
Dr. Eric J Adkins Accepts the Following Insurance
- UHC Choice Plus POS
Locations & DirectionsOHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, 376 W 10th Ave, Columbus, OH
Dr. Eric J Adkins is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Columbus, OH.