Get the facts about skin cancer, including the different types and symptoms.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Eric Fonkalsrud
Dr. Eric Fonkalsrud, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Los Angeles, CA, with other offices in Los Angeles, CA and Los Angeles, CA . He has 56 years of experience. His specialties include General Surgery, Thoracic Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. Dr. Fonkalsrud is affiliated with Santa Monica - UCLA Medical Center, University of California - Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and UCLA Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Eric Fonkalsrud has the following 3 specialties
- General Surgery
A surgical specialist is a physician who has additional training in a specific area of surgery.
The American Board of Medical Specialties acknowledges the following surgical specialties: general surgery, thoracic and cardiac surgery, colon and rectal surgery, obstetrics and gynecological surgery, neurological surgery, ophthalmic surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngological surgery, pediatric surgery, plastic surgery, urological surgery, and vascular surgery.
Some procedures are performed by more than one type of specialist. Also, some surgeons may choose to specialize in specific procedures within their specialty area. For example, a plastic and maxillofacial surgeon may specialize in performing rhinoplasty procedures.
- Thoracic Surgery
If you need surgery to treat a complication in your chest, which includes your lungs, esophagus, diaphragm and heart, your doctor will refer you to a thoracic surgeon. They’re trained to offer surgical treatment for tumors and abnormalities in these areas as well as respiratory and heart conditions like lung cancer, heart disease and diseases in the diaphragm.
Thoracic surgeons are similar to heart surgeons, except they have additional training in the entire cardiorespiratory system and in how your blood vessels work with your lungs and airways. They’re also trained on catheters used in the chest, as well as cardiac and respiratory support systems that might be part of your treatment plan.
- Pediatric Surgery
A pediatric surgeon is a qualified surgeon who has additional training in performing surgery on young patients, including fetuses (neonatal or fetal surgery), infants, children, adolescents and teenagers.
Because pediatric patients are still growing and developing, they are often more difficult to operate on than adults. These patients have smaller bodies and smaller organs requiring even more of a precise and measured approach by a surgeon.
Some of the conditions that may require the care of a pediatric surgeon are congenital malformations, such as cleft lip and palate, abdominal wall defects, like hernias, deformities of the chest wall, childhood tumors, like neuroblastomas and separation of conjoined twins.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Castration (Orchiectomy)
- Colon Cancer
- Colonic Polyps
- Crohn's Disease
- Esophageal Atresia
- Fecal Incontinence
- Funnel Chest (Pectus Excavatum)
- Galbladder Removal (Cholecystectomy)
- Gallstones (Cholelithiasis)
- Hirschsprung Disease
- Inguinal Hernia
- Intestinal Polyps
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Portal Hypertension
- Reconstructive Surgical Procedures
- Restorative Proctocolectomy
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Undescended Testis (Cryptorchidism)
- Ventral Hernia
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 12
I am a patient of Dr. Fonkalsrun from way back in 1989. I have been well since my surgery, two stage surgery for the removal of a severe case of Ulcerative Colitis I'd had for 20 years. I had a complete coke to your and ileoanal pull through which completely changed my health and my life. I will be forever grateful for his expertise and caring. He hugs too.
Performed an omphalocele Surgery on one of my twins. He did a purse tie suture where her belly button should be it looks better than a lot of belly buttons I have seen. My daughter went home within 6 days of her surger which was done hours after birth and has never had a single problem. She is 17 years old now.
Dr. Fonkalsrud is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Santa Monica - UCLA Medical Center
University of California - Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Medical Center
John Muir Medical Center-Concord Campus
56 Years Experience
Johns Hopkins University
Graduated in 1957
Dr. Eric Fonkalsrud accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Eric Fonkalsrud is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Los Angeles, CA.