Get the important facts about acne, including the different types and what causes it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Alopecia Alopecia facts; different types of hair loss & what can cause it.
- Facelift Facts about facelifts, including the different types of procedures.
- Facial Wrinkles and Lines Find out what causes facial wrinkles and lines.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Non-Healing Wounds Facts about non-healing wounds, including different types & causes.
- Psoriasis Learn about the symptoms of different types of psoriasis.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
About Dr. Erick A Mafong
Dr. Erick A Mafong, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Chula Vista, CA, with another office in San Diego, CA. His specialties include Dermatology. Dr. Mafong is affiliated with Scripps Mercy Hospital, Scripps Memorial Hospital-Encinitas and Scripps Memorial Hospital-La Jolla. Dr. Mafong has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Erick A Mafong has the following 1 specialty
A dermatologist is a doctor who has extensive training and knowledge of the skin, scalp, hair and nails and treats conditions that affect those areas. These doctors will evaluate any abnormality, blemish or lesion on the skin in order to determine the cause and will determine a course of treatment.
Dermatologists provide patients with full body scans in order to identify any signs that are indicative of an illness that requires treatment, such as skin cancer. These specialists may also provide cosmetic services, such as mole removal, scar diminishing treatments and even botox and face lifts.
Dr. Erick A Mafong has the following 14 expertise
- Skin Cancer
- Basal Cell
- Actinic Keratosis
- Mohs Surgery (Dermatological Surgery)
- Acne Rosacea
- Cosmetic Surgery (Aesthetic Procedures)
- Acne (Acne Vulgaris)
- Skin Biopsy
Dr. Erick A Mafong has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Erick A Mafong is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
Staff are super slow, not especially courteous, and not very organized. I would say this is my worst medical check in/ wait time I have experienced in San Diego County in the past eight years. I waited nearly an hour past my appointment time to be seen. I have had much better, more efficient processing at Sharp San Diego and Scripps La Jolla. I had thought a small clinic like this would be even better, but it is not even close. I paid my co- pay up front, but lady at the desk said if I wanted a receipt she could have it ready after my meeting with the doctor. After my appointment more than an hour later, the receipt was not ready. She asked me to wait while she took care of other business, then printed it out reluctantly, like I was bothering her by requesting my receipt. Dr. Mafong was very personable, nice. He apologized for being late. I don't mind waiting twenty or so minutes past the appointment, but closer to an hour is pushing it. The doctor's manner seemed to suggest this was business as usual. If you go, be prepared to wait a long time. It seems to be the usual way of doing business there. He was nice but was confused by my skin problem. He ruled out one thing but had no idea what it might be. His advice was to wait and watch for four weeks. It may or may not be enough, but I didn't leave with a great sense of confidence. If my skin condition worsens upon his advice to cease medication, I am going to be very upset. He was very courteous and answered all my questions, looked at a couple other skin issues to comment or offer advice. I liked him, but I left with a feeling of unease because he could not give me a clear answer.
I love Dr. Mafong. I only a few mintues for my appointment but I always ask for the earliest appointment. Everyone was very friendly. I have a chronic condition and have seen a lot of dermatologists. Dr Mafong spent a lot of time with me discussing what has and hasn't worked in the past, and together we came up with a regimen that is managable for me and so far has worked great. I did not feel rushed at all as I have with almost every other doctor I've had. I highly recommend him.
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Patients' Choice Award (2012, 2013, 2014, 2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2012, 2013)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Mafong is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
- University Of California San Diego School Of Medicine
Ucsd Medical Center
Dr. Erick A Mafong accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Erick A Mafong, MD - Dermatology in Chula Vista, CA, in this video.
Dr. Erick A Mafong is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Chula Vista, CA.