Dr. Erik Thyssen Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Erik Thyssen?

Half Listens

Posted on April 22nd, 2015

A friend referred me to this doctor for his fantastic bedside manner. I was not disappointed with his friendliness and gentle nature and his soothing tone of voice. He really seemed to be giving his full attention, however, time would reveal that he didn't retain half of the important symptomatic details that I described. I'm not sure what notes he scribbled on my file but In short... with each visit he would confuse details about my issues with those of other patients. He would ask the results of a medication that I wasn't even on. I got tired of repeating myself and ended up leaving that office for good. I know doctors get busy and have a lot of patients but organization ie) good notes, listening well are important both for your practice and for the sake of making your patient feel like a real person and not just another #.

Posted on March 8th, 2015

I have recommended Dr. Thyssen to several friends and everyone loves him.

He may not believe you.

Posted on October 14th, 2014

Nicest man ever! However, worst doctor for me. Very disappointing experience. Had recently seen a GI specialist and had been diagnosed with an issue (which I believe was an accurate diagnosis) but unfortunately that doc was too busy to help me along with a treatment plan. Frustrating after all the time and money spent doing procedures and having multiple office visits. Could not get that doc to return calls...I could go on and on. After some research found Dr. Thyssen. Thought he'd be a great match based on his conservative and holistic approach. He is the most kind-hearted and friendly man. However, from the first visit...he completely "wrote-off" all of the testing and diagnosis that I'd just been given. He didn't believe any of it. Said he would need to redo everything. While I understand his wanting to be responsible for his own testing...I'd literally, just had an upper and a lower GI, biopsies, HIDA scan, etc. In the meantime, his not believing my other diagnosis really struck an emotional cord (as the road to getting that diagnosis had been a long 6 months.) You can imagine that after 6 months of vomiting, nausea, and absolute sickness....and the frustration in not knowing what that sickness was....that to FINALLY get a diagnosis...allowed some sort of relief. The point... by the time I'd gotten to that first appointment with Thyssen, I'd been through quite a lot. I was more than ready to tackle this medical set-back so I could get on living my life. Anyway, so here I was sitting here in his office being told that he didn't believe the diagnosis. I cried. Who wouldn't, at this point? Big mistake. Thyssen already had his doubts (without having even looked at the images I provided from other doc of scopes) and now he saw me crying... and that was that! He wrote me off as someone with "emotional" issues. He told me that my stomach issues were due to my emotional stress. lol He told me that he sees people like me every day. "Like me?" He meant...with emotional issues. *rolls eyes* I tried explaining that I had no history of emotional issues and that I was (until this GI issue) very productive working successfully in my field, had a great new apartment, making great salary, social life...etc. All was well. It was the stomach issue that interrupted all of that. He literally told me that if I would just get some friends, start taking some walks in the fresh air, get a job and be productive...that my GI issues would go away. Seriously! I, again, explained that I WAS doing all of the above but then the GI issues came about and I had to take time out. NOT the other way around. My instincts told me from that first visit that this doctor was not going to ever take me seriously. I continued as his patient anyway. My mistake. Additionally, he comes across as a patient and giving listener...but...he misses important details that only...in the end...drag out the whole process and waste time. i.e.) I told him from that 1st visit that mornings were my worst time of day. I often awoke throughout the night due to loud noises and gurgling in stomach. He right away wanted to prescribe some sleeping pill. I tried to explain that I didn't have any issues falling asleep...it was simple the GI issues that interrupted the sleep. I got a lot of acid build up. Taking a pill to "knock me out" wouldn't change the stomach issues. And of-course, I awoke vomiting all afternoon. Months later...I was repeating my symptoms to him and he said, "Oh....so you don't have any issue falling asleep?? (like a light bulb went off) It's the stomach that wakes you up? Clearly, he wasn't paying attention in the 1st meeting. I could go on and on. Basically, every time I spoke with him it was the same...me repeating the same ol' symptoms and him doubting that I have any real problem. I am not here to scare anyone away. As i mentioned...he is a nice guy. I am just sharing my personal experience which was that...for me...unfortunately, he was one of those doctors that just didn't want to believe his patient. It was a complete waste of my time. In our last convo I again explained that i had all of the same symptoms, which vary, day-by-day and his response was, "But the last time I saw you in person you looked so good." I said, "My hair and make-up were done that day because I'd been someone prior to the appointment...but hair and make-up have nothing to do inwardly with how I am feeling." Sigh!

Most Compassionate Doctor I've Met

Posted on August 20th, 2013

This doctor is not only smart, but he is extremely compassionate. He cares more about you the patient than him getting audited by your insurance company for running unnecessary tests. I have seen very few doctors with even half of the character that this doctor has. If I had to name my favorite doctor it would be Dr. Thyssen, and trust me I have seen quite a few.

Posted on August 26th, 2017