Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Gary P Gurka has the following 2 specialties
- Allergy & Immunology
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Gary P Gurka has the following 10 expertise
- Watery Eyes
- Hay Fever
- Food Allergies
Dr. Gary P Gurka has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Gary P Gurka is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
I have been a patient of Dr. Gurka for 26 years. After years of being in and out of the hospital for upper respiratory infections and asthma related problems, and taking antibiotics several times a year, every year, I had finally had enough. Doctors could not tell me why I was always sick and would get frustrated when I would ask. At the age of 26, I was referred to Dr. Gurka by a nurse friend. During my initial visit, he spent quite a bit of time just listening to me, asking questions, doing extensive blood work, and getting to know me. He discovered that I had an autoimmune deficiency and has been taking care of me ever since. Because of related problems due to this deficiency, I see many different doctors. Dr. Gurka has, by far, the best bed side manner you could ever hope for in a doctor and he truly cares about his patients. While he is no longer a primary care doctor and focuses on allergy and asthma issues, he is still involved with my care. After 26 years, he is still my favorite doctor and one whom I trust completely.
I certainly will not recommend Dr. Gurka to a friend or family. I waited forever to be seen the first time. He claims to be an allergy specialist even though he is not Board Certified. I was made to continue allergy shots for over 5 years after signing some forms with lots of fine print. I could not stop when I wanted to. I might have just been receiving water all these years the shots did nothing to my allergies. Stay away!
Patients' Choice Award (2008)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
37 Years Experience
Tufts University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1981
New England Medical Center
Dr. Gary P Gurka accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA HMO Blue with Managed Care Behavioral Health
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsGary Gurka Md, 63 Massachusetts Ave, Arlington, MA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Gary P Gurka in this video.
Dr. Gary P Gurka is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Arlington, MA.