The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer, including signs, symptoms & what happens to the body in each stage of cancer.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Gary Hunninghake
Dr. Gary Hunninghake, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Iowa City, IA. He has 41 years of experience. His specialties include Allergy and Immunology, Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Disease. Dr. Hunninghake is affiliated with University Of Iowa Hospital & Clinic. He speaks English.
Dr. Gary Hunninghake has the following 3 specialties
- Allergy and Immunology
An allergy & immunology specialist is a physician who is specially trained in matters pertaining to chronic and acute allergies, as well as deficiencies of the immune system. The doctor will determine whether an allergy, which attacks our immune system, is present. They'll also determine the cause, whether it be environmental triggers like trees and pollen, food-borne like peanuts and dairy, the venom of insects like bees, or a medication like penicillin.
In addition to determining the allergen causing an immunological response in a patient, the specialist will treat the symptoms caused by the reaction.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
Dr. Gary Hunninghake has the following 18 expertise
- Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Asbestosis (Asbestos-related diseases)
- Hay Fever (Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis)
- Interstitial Lung Diseases
- Lung Cancer
- Lung Diseases
- Lung Diseases (Pleural Diseases)
- Nasal Allergy (Rhinitis)
- Occupational Asthma (Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis or Hypersensitivity Pneumotitis)
- Pulmonary Emphysema (COPD)
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infections
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Dr. Hunninghake is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
University Of Iowa Hospital & Clinic
41 Years Experience
University of Kansas
Graduated in 1972
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions200 Hawkins Dr, Iowa City, IA
Dr. Gary Hunninghake is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Iowa City, IA.