Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Gary M Lopes has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Gary M Lopes has the following 12 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Celiac Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
Dr. Gary M Lopes has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 10
Two months ago I was referred to Dr Lopes by my PCP for treatment hepatitis.It took 6 confusing weeks to work out a schedule for a colonoscopy. Linette (the receptionist) told me that I could NOT see Dr Lopes without doing the colonoscopy first. I tried to get a message thru because I felt I needed some treatment for the hepatitis sooner than that. Linette made it painfully clear, PATIENTS DO NOT SEND COMMUNICATIONS TO THE DOCTOR. If the doctor wants to see the patient, the doctor starts the communication. Well, I finally got the colonoscopy, and did not hear from the office. I called the office multiple times. Finally, I asked my PCP to call the office because my messages were not being returned. Linette swore I was lying about leaving messages. And, even WITH the done colonoscopy, she claimed I had to wait till Dr Lopes got to my records and decided to call me in. Again, patients do not request appointments, they wait till the doctor decides to invite them.My PCP told me that Dr Lopes is indeed a good doctor, and that once I got past Linette, everything would be fine. Well, I cannot get past Linette. I have found a different doctor.
I started with Dr Lopes back in 1990-91 as my primary care physican and am still thrilled to have him as my Gastro doc. He is what everyone needs and wants in a doctor. Five stars aren't enough for him. Any time I see him it's all about me. He takes his time with every appointment and is extremely thorough. He's up to date with all the latest info, meds and treatments. He listens to you and values what you have to say. He treats his patients like very valued patients and real people. He is definatly the best
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2012, 2013)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
31 Years Experience
Tufts University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1987
St Elizabeths Medical Center
Dr. Gary M Lopes accepts the following insurance providers.
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsHarvard Vanguard Medical Associates-Cambridge, 1611 Cambridge St, Cambridge, MA
Dr. Gary M Lopes is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Cambridge, MA.