Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Gary P Rakes has the following 1 specialty
- Allergy & Immunology
- Food Allergies
- Watery Eyes
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Food Allergy (Hypersensitivity)
- Nasal Allergy (Rhinitis)
- Drug Allergy
- Sino-Nasal Disorders
- Latex Allergy (Latex Hypersensitivity)
- Hives (Urticaria)
- Hay Fever
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 24
Went in for repeated infections and they diagnosed me with red meat allergy! Then insisted that this is the final answer to all my prayers (not!). It's terrible when the doctor gets stuck and forces the diagnosis down your throat despite the fact that your symptoms and what's being said do not match! What's the point of such doctor visits and wastage of patient's resources, when the problem stays unresolved. This place is a circus and the staff are just mechanical cogs. Enough said!
Doctor Rakes and some of staff is excellent and warm and caring! One nurse is abrupt and office forgot to inform nurses we were present one day, so we waited an hour in waiting room. Then supplies had not been ordered, so we were told to return another day; for that date we received a phone call due to doctor sudden vacation plans. **Practice is too large, so disconnected. **
Things were somewhat reasonable years ago, now its all about the $$$... He wanted to do oral challenges for food items that we could eat at home anyway without any symptoms. He had a mass factory of such patients - several of the ones we talked to had negative skin tests but they insisted on challenging anyway....
We've used Dr. Rakes for years for our child. He has always been quite warm, thorough, and good with kids. However, his policy requiring a visit before updating an epi-pen for a life-long allergy is merely money grubbing. No valid medical reason and very inconsiderate of working families. Then there is the staff. Ranging from unfriendly to down right rude.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2010)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2010)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
29 Years Experience
University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1989
University Of Virginia Health System
Dr. Gary P Rakes accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Gary P Rakes is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Charlottesville, VA.