Get the facts about skin cancer, including the different types and symptoms.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- Grass Pollen Allergy Get the facts about grass pollen Allergy.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Gary P Rakes has the following 1 specialty
- Allergy and Immunology
An allergy & immunology specialist is a physician who is specially trained in matters pertaining to chronic and acute allergies, as well as deficiencies of the immune system. The doctor will determine whether an allergy, which attacks our immune system, is present. They'll also determine the cause, whether it be environmental triggers like trees and pollen, food-borne like peanuts and dairy, the venom of insects like bees, or a medication like penicillin.
In addition to determining the allergen causing an immunological response in a patient, the specialist will treat the symptoms caused by the reaction.
Dr. Gary P Rakes has the following 20 expertise
- Food Allergies
- Watery Eyes
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Food Allergy (Hypersensitivity)
- Nasal Allergy (Rhinitis)
- Drug Allergy
- Sino-Nasal Disorders
- Latex Allergy (Latex Hypersensitivity)
- Hives (Urticaria)
- Hay Fever
Dr. Gary P Rakes has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Gary P Rakes is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 24
Went in for repeated infections and they diagnosed me with red meat allergy! Then insisted that this is the final answer to all my prayers (not!). It's terrible when the doctor gets stuck and forces the diagnosis down your throat despite the fact that your symptoms and what's being said do not match! What's the point of such doctor visits and wastage of patient's resources, when the problem stays unresolved. This place is a circus and the staff are just mechanical cogs. Enough said!
Doctor Rakes and some of staff is excellent and warm and caring! One nurse is abrupt and office forgot to inform nurses we were present one day, so we waited an hour in waiting room. Then supplies had not been ordered, so we were told to return another day; for that date we received a phone call due to doctor sudden vacation plans. **Practice is too large, so disconnected. **
Things were somewhat reasonable years ago, now its all about the $$$... He wanted to do oral challenges for food items that we could eat at home anyway without any symptoms. He had a mass factory of such patients - several of the ones we talked to had negative skin tests but they insisted on challenging anyway....
We've used Dr. Rakes for years for our child. He has always been quite warm, thorough, and good with kids. However, his policy requiring a visit before updating an epi-pen for a life-long allergy is merely money grubbing. No valid medical reason and very inconsiderate of working families. Then there is the staff. Ranging from unfriendly to down right rude.
Patients' Choice Award (2010)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2010)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
29 Years Experience
University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1989
University Of Virginia Health System
Dr. Gary P Rakes accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Gary P Rakes is similar to the following 0 Doctors near Charlottesville, VA.