Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Gary W Varilek
Dr. Gary W Varilek, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Lincoln, NE. He has 35 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. Dr. Varilek is affiliated with Bryan Medical Center West, CHI Health St. Elizabeth and Butler Co Health Care Center Home. Dr. Varilek has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. Gary W Varilek has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Hepatitis C
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn's Disease
Showing 5 of 12
An incompetent, uncaring, arrogant, and judgemental doctor who spent less than 2 minutes with me after I drove 2 hours to Lincoln and waited almost an hour to see anyone. He told me there was "probably nothing wrong, and I don't want to waste my time with unnecessary tests", then proceeded to schedule an expensive "unnecessary" procedure that "wasn't going to find anything". I canceled the procedure appointment and requested another doctor. It's been a week and he still hasn't signed the paperwork to refer me to a different doctor. This man is an embarrassment to the medical field.
Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Varilek is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
35 Years Experience
Creighton University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1983
University Of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Dr. Gary W Varilek accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry NE PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsGastroenterology Specialties PC, 4545 R St Ste 100, Lincoln, NE
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Gary W Varilek in this video.
Dr. Gary W Varilek is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Lincoln, NE.