Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. George A Makar has the following 3 specialties
A hepatologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the liver, gall bladder, pancreas and biliary tree - the path through which bile that is secreted by the liver travels to the duodenum. These organs are responsible for many essential bodily functions, such as production of hormones and enzymes, filtering the blood, detoxifying chemicals, metabolizing drugs, and digesting and processing food.
Common disorders that are treated by hepatologists are cirrhosis of the liver, gallstones, pancreatitis and hepatitis.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatic Encephalopathy
- Liver Transplantation
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Celiac Disease
- Urinary Retention
- Uterine Prolapse
- Hysterectomy (Uterus)
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Hepatitis C
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Urinary Fistula
- Portal Hypertension
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 11
Wow! I haven't had this good of an experience with a doctor in a long time! Dr. Makar has a relaxed, friendly manner about him which, in my opinion, is a gift, considering his specialty. He made me comfortable enough that I was able to talk about an embarrassing subject without hesitation. He spent a lot of time with me, listened well, and has ordered tests which I feel will help him get to the right diagnosis. I am so glad I came to University of Penn Hospital for help!
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2014)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2015, 2014)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
18 Years Experience
University Of Iowa Roy J And Lucille A Carver College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2000
Hospital Of The University Of Pennsylvania
Dr. George A Makar accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Capital Blue Cross
- Capital BC PPO
- CIGNA HMO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica HMO
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- First Health PPO
Geisinger Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Highmark Community Blue PPO
- Horizon BCBS OMNIA - TIER2
- Horizon Direct Access
- Horizon HMO
- Horizon OMNIA
- Horizon POS
- Horizon PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- IBC Keystone HMO POS
- IBC Personal Choice PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. George A Makar is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Philadelphia, PA.