Dr. Getu Assefa Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Getu Assefa?

Tends Towards Aggressive Treatments

Posted on July 31st, 2016

Because of insurance coverage reasons, I went to him for shock treatment of my A-Fib heart. His scheduling staff was hard to deal with and then the appointment-wait was weeks. Dr Assefa was very easy to talk to; however, his staff (at Powderly) kept interrupting us for trivial reasons while I was being seen. He even took a 6+min phone call from or about another patient, breaking his and my concentration. I thought that was disrespectful to both of us. When I was at the Madisonville hospital for the shock treatment, he forgot to order my anesthetic so the staff acted positively hateful towards me for insisting on it. After the procedure, the heart meds that I'd been on for 4 mos were suddenly ceased; the one med he substituted didn't work so my heart reverted to A-Fib 4 days later (but what a great 4 days of energy). I felt lucky to have lived until my next appointment 3 weeks later. He then told me of invasive techniques that he was considering, but first he wanted to put me on a medicine with a page of side-effects that he told me to ignore; after only 2 doses, I was fighting tears constantly (I am usually a happy person). I felt like I was in front of a runaway train with Dr Assefa as the engineer. I talked with my insurance company, and now I am back to my original cardiologist who is out of Vanderbilt (I see him at Powderly). My meds have been resumed and successfully tweaked so that I am back to feeling almost as good as I ever have. We are taking it slow and easy. The other treatments are still potential possibilities but, at present, there is no rush to use them. The other good news is that I am back on Lasix, which Dr A had wanted me to discontinue (I gained 4# in 5 days), and I have finally been successful in losing weight through diet and exercise, things I had done before without results (because of the fluid build-up). I did like Dr Assefa as a person. He cares a lot for his patients and works long hours every day to give them all the best care he can. He is licensed in many states and keeps himself up to date with the latest research. He wants his patients well as fast as possible. I feel more comfortable at a slower pace.

Posted on March 21st, 2015

easy to talk to. ask questions. follows through on care you receive. Puts all ages at ease.

GREAT DOCTOR