Get the facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Parkinson’s Disease Get the facts about Parkinson’s disease, including symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Gregory J Withers
Dr. Gregory J Withers, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Arcadia, CA. He has 45 years of experience. His specialties include Neurological Surgery. Dr. Withers is affiliated with California Hospital Medical Center, Torrance Memorial Medical Center and Beverly Hospital. Dr. Withers has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. Gregory J Withers has the following 1 specialty
- Neurological Surgery
A neurological surgeon is a physician who surgically treats disorders of the nervous system, which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
In addition to treating trauma of the head and spine, these doctors also treat disorders like epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
Neurological surgeons can perform surgical procedures on the brain, such as stereotactic surgery, microsurgery, endoscopic surgery, stereotactic radiosurgery, and endovascular image guided methods.
- Wounds and Injuries
- Brain Surgery
- Back Injuries
- Brain Tumor
- Head and Neck Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 21
Dr. Withers performed spine surgery on me with excellent results. I found him caring and to the point which I liked. He always answered my questions. I had heard he had a bad bedside manner, I did not find this to be true. I think those people who rated him with a bad bedside manner just did not want to listen to him. Since my surgery, I am now free of pain, where before I never slept more than 3-4 hours a night because of the intense pain.
My mother was unfortunate enough to be in the "care" of Dr. Withers several years ago for a brain aneurysm, and it was quite clear after some time that he cared far less for my mother's life than he did for the money he would earn from performing surgery on her. At no time did Dr. Withers inform my family that there was a simple non-invasive method of blocking a ruptured aneurysm by placing metal coils inside of it which are fed into the aneurysm through the circulatory system rather than by cranial surgery. He supposedly attempted two times to render her leaking aneurysm safe by a clamping procedure, but after sawing her head open, was unable to complete the procedure because her brain was too swollen. Twice. Both times, ultrasounds and CAT scans had been done prior to surgery which showed that her brain was severely swollen, but he proceeded anyway, and collected thousands of dollars to attempt something that prior tests clearly showed could not be achieved. My family only became aware of the test results after the surgeries. When we began to ask questions, Dr. Withers treated my family with quite a bullying manner. Actually, when we asked why he attempted to perform surgery the second time if the test results showed no change in swelling since the first surgery, he actually looked at my sister and I and said,"Oh, I see you two are smarter than the average bear." We had our mother transferred to UCLA as soon as we could after that encounter, where the simple procedure which saved her life was performed the very next day. Their surgeon's comment on what had been done to my mother under the care of Dr. Withers was that he was "appalled". "Back to the Stone Age of neurosurgery" were his exact words. No kidding. Every day my mother sat in ICU waiting for Dr. Withers to be able to clamp off her aneurysm, her life was at a very great risk of being lost. It is the responsibility of a doctor to inform his patients of their condition and their options. Dr. Withers led us to believe that the surgery he was equipped to perform was the best possible option. However, he knew that he could not help my mother from the tests carried out before the unnecessary surgeries he performed and collected thousands of dollars for. If my writing this even makes one patient in danger of being treated in a similar way seek care elsewhere, then it will have been worth my time to write this.
Dr. Withers is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
45 Years Experience
University Of California Los Angeles David Geffen School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1973
Lac Usc Medical Center
Dr. Gregory J Withers accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Basic HMO
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Vitalidad Plus CA con Aetna
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Priority Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
LA Care Health
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsGregory John Withers Md, 301 W Huntington Dr Ste 407, Arcadia, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Gregory J Withers in this video.
Dr. Gregory J Withers is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Arcadia, CA.