Learn about the symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- IUD Types, risks & benefits of intrauterine devices (IUD) for protection.
- Infertility Facts about infertility, including the risk factors and causes.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Menorrhagia Get the facts about menorrhagia, including the causes, symptoms, and doctors who treat it.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Gretchen E Makai has the following 2 specialties
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
Dr. Gretchen E Makai has the following 11 expertise
- Menstrual Pain
- Women's Health
- Birth Control
- Pap Smear
- Breast Exam
- Pelvic Exam
- Hot Flashes
Dr. Gretchen E Makai has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 33
I initially liked Dr makai. She seemed informative about what was wrong and I went ahead with procedure. During my hosp stay I was foley cathed a total of 4 times and on the last one her team of residents who follow her like a puppy dog stuck the cath in my vagina and didn't retrieve a new kit due to contamination And IMMEDIATELY stuck it in my urethra. Went home with foley and had extremely bad pelvic pain (was told foleys don't hurt but by the fourth time its excruciating) and they didn't even send my urine for culture. My urinary tract is a mess requiring another surgery. She Persistently told me I was not in pain and my procedure doesn't cause post op pain. That she "doesn't treat bladder pain with narcotics". That they do not work. You can be on your death bed cringing in pain and she'll blame anything and everything and anyone for any complication and will not adequately treat your pain. Never again. Beware. Completely cold and her partner Dr Patel is just as bad.
Well my experience wasn't a good one. Sign on the dotted line to have an exam and to have polyps removed.Post op appointment she was ready to sign off on me when I asked about my ovaries. She informed me they weren't visible during surgery. Wow, no sh*t "doc", I thought. She then ,after a huff, proceeded to fill out a form for me to go get an ultrasound. She was irritated. Geez, wth did I do? I guess I questioned the almighty doctor. She knew I was not comfortable with a gyne but I was there and she could have made it a thorough exam knowing it had been about 20 years since I had been to a gynecologist. THAT IS SCARY that she was going to let me leave without even making sure my ovaries were ok. I guess ovarian cancer has been eradicated and I guess nowadays a gynecologist checking the breasts or sending for a mammogram is out too.
Patients' Choice Award (2015, 2016, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
15 Years Experience
Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons
Graduated in 2003
Dr. Gretchen E Makai accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Highmark Community Blue PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- IBC Keystone HMO POS
- IBC Personal Choice PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsChristiana Care Health Services, 4735 Ogletown Stanton Rd Ste 2103, Newark, DE
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Gretchen E Makai in this video.
Dr. Gretchen E Makai is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Newark, DE.