Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Harry S Shapiro
Dr. Harry S Shapiro, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Brooklyn, NY. He has 46 years of experience. His specialties include Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism and Internal Medicine. Dr. Shapiro is affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital and Maimonides Medical Center. Dr. Shapiro has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Harry S Shapiro has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Gland Issues
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Diabetes (Types I & II)
- Cushing Disease
- Addison Disease
- Weight Loss
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 55
The office experience was totally satisfing. I was very pleased with the service. Staff was professional and thorough. Dr.Shapiro was excellent and answered all my questions. He allowed me to express my concerns and made me feel safe and at ease. I will be returning for a follow up to go over my results.
Started seeing Dr. Shapiro in Fall 2015, asked if I could try a different medicine and he said yes. A few months have to go by to see a trend in blood results, with any medicine. After maybe 4 months on this new med, my levels were very high and he did nothing about it. I thought, well, he's the Dr and knows what he's doing. A few more months went by and he did nothing. I had to tell the office to do something about my numbers by changing the dosage or frequency of taking the medicine. Dr Shapiro goes on a lot of vacation, ok why not, but when a patient's body is out of whack you call them, not hop on a plane or whatever, and leave your colleagues to handle the problem if need be. I've lost 39 pounds since seeing him, but not in a good way: I went from being hypOthyroid to hypERthyroid, my heart races all the time, I'm often shaky, and my head is foggy. Sure he's happy about the weight loss, and will tell you it's great, people feel better when they exercise... but I did nothing to achieve it on my own. He's impatient, and didn't like when I questioned his choice of dosage of the new medicine he finally changed me to after about 15 months. Looking for another endocrinologist, I'm the smart one now.
MY 1st visit was good. My 2nd visit was bad. He lashed out at me. did not listen to what i was saying. did not listed to any suggestions. Offered to get off vital medication just to see how my system will react. Nasty experience.
Patients' Choice Award (2014)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2013)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Shapiro is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
46 Years Experience
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1972
Beth Israel Medical Center
Dr. Harry S Shapiro accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire Blue Priority EPO
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Metro
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsShapiro Goldman And Tawil Mds Pc, 130 Brighton Beach Ave Ste 3, Brooklyn, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Harry S Shapiro in this video.
Dr. Harry S Shapiro is similar to the following 0 Doctors near Brooklyn, NY.