Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Hartzell V Schaff
Dr. Hartzell V Schaff, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Rochester, MN. He has 45 years of experience. His specialties include Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery) and Surgery. Dr. Schaff has received 4 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Hartzell V Schaff has the following 2 specialties
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery)
- Coronary Artery Bypass (Heart Bypass)
- Heart Diseases
- Heart Valve Prosthesis Implantation
- Aortic Coarctation
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Heart Failure
- False Aneurysm
- Aortic Valve Stenosis
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Mediastinum Cancer (Mediastinal Neoplasm)
- Vascular Graft Occlusion
- Heart Valve Diseases
- Marfan Syndrome
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Intraoperative Complications
- Mitral Valve Insufficiency
- Laparoscopic Surgery (Laparoscopy)
- Coronary Disease
- Bacterial Endocarditis
- Prosthesis Failure
- Congenital Heart Defects
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB)
- Percutaneous Arterial Septic Defect (ASD) Closure
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty & Stent
- Blood Vessel Prosthesis Implantation
- Heart Cancer
- Myocardial Infarction
- Cardiac Surgical Procedures
- Dissecting Aneurysm
- Vascular Surgical Procedures
- Aortic Diseases
- Blood Clot (Thromboembolism)
- Prosthesis-Related Infections
- Heart Surgery (Cardiovascular Surgical Procedures)
- Left Ventricular Dysfunction
- Aortic Valve Insufficiency
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 31
My husband had mitral valve repair twice in 9 days in 1997 at the age of 44. He was fine until Sept. 2009. Over the past 3 years, my husband had a cardiac ablation gone bad in Dallas, an aborted ablation followed by a pacemaker at Mayo (Dr. Doug Packer is a genius for how he handled that), and sudden cardiac arrest last summer while on vacation, survived, and received an ICD (pacemaker/defibrillator). Then we learned he needed his mitral valve replaced. I was extremely worried that after all of this, he would die during surgery. Of course, we would only have this done at Mayo with Dr. Hartzell Schaff. When Dr. Schaff asked me what I was worried about and I told him that I was worried my husband would die, he looked me right in the eye and said with complete confidence (not ego), "He's not going to die". I have never had more confidence in a doctor in my entire life. While it has only been about 5 months, my husband is doing extremely well. We are grateful to Dr. Schaff, everyone at Mayo/St. Mary's, and Melissa Erdman, PA-C. Go no where else!
Patients' Choice Award (2015, 2012, 2011, 2013, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2015, 2012)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Top 10 Doctor - State (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
America's Top Doctors (2017)
Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise. Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise.
45 Years Experience
University Of Oklahoma College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1973
Mayo Clinic And Medical School
Dr. Hartzell V Schaff accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
HealthPartners - MN
- HealthPartners MN CareChoices
- HealthPartners MN CentraChoice
- HealthPartners MN Distinctions II
- HealthPartners Open Access
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Preferred One PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Medica Choice
- UHC Options PPO
- WPS Group
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsMayo Clinic, 200 1st St SW, Rochester, MN
Dr. Hartzell V Schaff is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Rochester, MN.