Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Haruko A Akatsu
Haruko A Akatsu is a Doctor primarily located in Stanford, CA, with another office in Pittsburgh, PA. She speaks English.
Haruko A Akatsu has 2 locations
300 Pasteur Dr
Stanford, CA 94305
3601 5th Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Book Online Now
Haruko A Akatsu has the following 6 expertise
- Diabetes, Type 2
- Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Diseases
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
Showing 5 of 15
Self-verified patient of Haruko A Akatsu - Posted on May 12th, 2015
Self-verified patient of Haruko A Akatsu - Posted on April 11th, 2014
I haven't slept in 12 years (2-4 hours a night). My thyroid has nodules and my thyroid levels often come out abnormal. My father also had a severe endocrine disorder. But because my most recent thyroid blood test came out normal and my father, who lives 2000 miles away, couldn't come to an appointment with me, she refused to work with me. She ordered no tests and provided no answers regarding severe insomnia, hair loss and heart palpitations so bad I was referred to cardiology. She didn't even actually look at the ultrasound images, but made her decision based on a radiology report. She might as well have said "fantastic, not my problem," as she didn't seem to feel I was worth the time to really take a look at. She had no answer for what was causing my problems and didn't care. She actually said, "probably everyone in this hospital has abnormal TSH levels because they are all very sick people. Something is going wrong in your body and causing your TSH to be abnormal." And that was it. She referred me to a sleep clinic and a urologist, sending me on more wild goose chases that resulted in nothing. She said she would check with genetics and get back to me and recheck my thyroid levels in six months. I didn't hear from her again until 4 months later when I finally called to see what happened with the genetics referral, after completing the many other doctors visits from the referrals she made, driving over 50 miles back and forth to Stanford several times and still not getting any answers. She told me she'd recheck my thyroid in a year, through an office staff. When I asked to see another doctor for a second opinion I was told Stanford doesn't do that and I would have to go somewhere else, but that was already the end of the line for me. Stanford is the last resort. It's the the place where your supposed to finally get answers. Apparently its the place to avoid doing "unnecessary tests" as she put it, at least if you end up with her.
Terrible Experience- I will there is a 0 star
Self-verified patient of Haruko A Akatsu - Posted on February 21st, 2014
I got referred to her by my surgeon. First appointment, she made me wait for more than one hour for a 15 minute appointment. She asked little question, did not want to bother with comprehensive tests. We got there 15 early as directed. Then, she did not prescribe me any medication timely . When I was getting low, I had to call her office 4 times to follow up. It was the worst experience ever.
Self-verified patient of Haruko A Akatsu - Posted on September 22nd, 2013
Self-verified patient of Haruko A Akatsu - Posted on September 6th, 2013
Dr. Akatsu was overall very polite and sweet. She seemed rather busy, but other than that was willing to help and answered all of my questions. Although I did wait for about 15 minutes (and therefore was late for my next engagement), it was worth it. She apologized for the delay and got straight to business. She explained everything clearly and well.. I have no complaints, and I would definitely recommend her to a friend.
Top 10 Doctor - Metro Area (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2013)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Haruko A Akatsu Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Locations & Directions
Haruko A Akatsu is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Stanford, CA.