Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Hassan Shawa has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Diabetes, Type 2
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
After I finally went to an endocrinologist after months of feeling low energy, extreme fatigue, hair falling out, and other classic hypothyroid symptoms, this doc put me on synthroid "not because it was needed but because I requested it." My levels were according to lab results low normal, but I had all the clinical symptoms of hypothyroid and felt terrible. I noticed definite increased energy a couple weeks after starting a low dose of levothyroxine, but when titrating the dose up, the migraines that started when I began taking it got worse. I stopped taking the meds and they abruptly went away. I called back asking to try Nature-Throid as an alternative because I believed I was sensitive to something in the levothyroxine I was taking. I had also read some articles published in medical journals about the superiority of combined T3/T4 therapy for some patients. I believed it might be a better fit for me. He had his nurse call back to tell me that it was impossible that I was experiencing migraines due to levothyroxine and that any effects I experienced from the drug were placebo because it was too low a dose to have an effect. Unbelievable arrogance. He also refused to allow me to try nature-throid because he believed 1) it was less effective and 2) the dosage varies from batch to batch. A quick review of the scientific literature and recall history of these drugs reveals both of these arguments to be completely baseless. Moreover, the way the message was conveyed was extremely disrespectful and dismissive of some of the richest data available to a doctor: patient report about how they feel. My advice: Avoid this doctor -- unless you're OK with seeing someone narrow minded, not up to date on the latest literature, arrogant, and unhelpful.
10 Years Experience
University Of Aleppo
Graduated in 2008
St Joseph Hospital
Dr. Hassan Shawa accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP HMO
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire Blue Priority EPO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP HMO
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Hassan Shawa is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Albany, NY.