Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Helayne L Sherman has the following 2 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Helayne L Sherman has the following 14 expertise
- Heart Attack
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Failure
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Unstable Angina
- Blood Clot
- Heart Diseases
- Heart Block
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
Dr. Helayne L Sherman has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 7
When I turned 50, I decided to visit a cardiologist to establish a baseline for my cardiac health. I had elevated LDL cholesterol but no serious heart problems, to the best of my knowledge. The cardiologists I consulted with were adequate but not particularly curious or observant. I decided to switch to Dr. Sherman, who ran some tests that revealed an ascending aortic aneurysm (AAA). I had had no symptoms or prior knowledge of this condition, but I have since found out that AAAs can be fatal if they rupture. A couple years ago I moved away from West Michigan but have continued with annual checkups and testing to see if the aneurysm is growing and requires treatment. Had I not seen Dr. Sherman, I may not have found out about this potentially life-threatening condition. I have Dr. Sherman to thank for her astute detection and diagnosis and will return to her care if I move back to Grand Rapids.
Avoid this doctor. She has preconceived diagnoses. Does not appear to have knowledge that Coronary MVD does not show up in typical tests. Unwilling to go the extra mile to diagnose what doesn't fit her parameters or refer to someone who can. "There is nothing wrong with your heart. I can't help you."
26 Years Experience
University Of Chicago Division Of The Biological Sciences The Pritzker School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1992
University Of Michigan Health System
Dr. Helayne L Sherman accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- BCBS MI Blue Care Network HMO Group Enrollees
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Preferred PPO
Locations & DirectionsWest Michigan Heart Pc, 2900 Bradford St NE, Grand Rapids, MI
Dr. Helayne L Sherman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Grand Rapids, MI.