Get the facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions that may be related to it.
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Insomnia Facts about insomnia; who gets it and what causes it.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- Osteoarthritis Get the facts about osteoarthritis, including the symptoms.
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee Osteoarthritis of the knee: symptoms & risk factors for developing it.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Facts about rheumatoid arthritis (RA), including juvenile arthritis.
- Sleep Apnea Sleep apnea symptoms, risk factors, and complications.
- Tennis Elbow Facts about tennis elbow, including what it is & signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Hugh Gilbert
Dr. Hugh Gilbert, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Winnetka, IL, with other offices in Evanston, IL and Glenview, IL (and 2 other locations). He has 48 years of experience. His specialties include Pain Management and Anesthesiology. Dr. Gilbert is affiliated with Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Resurrection Medical Center and Glenbrook Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Hugh Gilbert has the following 2 specialties
- Pain Management
A pain management specialist is a physician with advanced knowledge and training in diagnosing and treating pain. These doctors do not come from one particular discipline, but rather use their respective backgrounds to contribute a varied approach to the field of pain management.
These specialists use their different skills and training in pain management to treat pain stemming from different causes - whether it's neuropathic pain or headache, or the result of injury, a surgical procedure, cancer or another illness.
Pain management specialists are primarily trained as anesthesiologists, physiatrists, interventional radiologists, neurologists, osteopaths, or primary care physicians.
Anesthesiologists are physicians who are trained to administer anesthetics, which are medicines used to block nerve sensation. Anesthesia can be either local to one specific part of a body, like a tooth, or regional to block feeling to a larger portion of the body, such as during an epidural for child birth. It can also be more general to block sensation to the entire body, resulting in unconsciousness.
Anesthesiologists assist in surgery by determining how much anesthesia is necessary and by monitoring the patient's level of responsiveness and vital signs throughout the procedure. The anesthesia specialist will also bring the patient out of anesthesia and then continue to monitor his or her vital signs post-operation.
Besides assisting in surgeries, anesthesiologists may also treat patients suffering from chronic pain.
Dr. Hugh Gilbert has the following 6 expertise
- Acute Pain
- Cancer Pain
- Chronic Pain
- Migraine Disorders
Dr. Hugh Gilbert is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Dr. Gilbert is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
NorthShore Medical Group
Evanston/North Shore University Health System
Highland Park Hospital
48 Years Experience
University Of Illinois College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1969
University Of Michigan Health System
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Hugh Gilbert in this video.
Dr. Hugh Gilbert is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Winnetka, IL.