Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Facts about Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Hyun S Kim
Dr. Hyun S Kim, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Diego, CA. She has 28 years of experience. Her specialties include Diagnostic Radiology, Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Kim is affiliated with California Hospital Medical Center, Providence Holy Cross Medical Center and Palomar Medical Center Poway. Dr. Kim has received 2 awards. She speaks English.
Book Online Now
Dr. Hyun S Kim has the following 4 specialties
- Diagnostic Radiology
Radiologists help doctors get a closer look at what’s happening inside your body. If your primary care doctor wants to investigate your symptoms further, they may refer you to a radiologist to get an ultrasound or x-ray. Some radiologists specialize in mammography and breast imaging, which is who you see when you need a mammogram. A Radiologist can also determine if bones are broken or fractured after any kind of accident.
Radiologists are trained to perform MRIs and CT scans, both of which are used to determine the presence of diseases or disorders and help your doctor properly diagnose you. They can detect anything from tumors, bleeding and infections to bone and muscle disorders.
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Interventional radiologists, also known as vascular radiologists, use minimally-invasive imaging techniques to diagnose conditions in your organs and blood vessels. For example, if you need an angiography (an x-ray of the arteries) to diagnose a blockage in your blood vessels, your doctor will refer you to an interventional radiologist. They can, if needed, perform an angioplasty to open up the blocked passage.
They’re also trained to perform needle biopsies, insert stents, treat varicose veins and obstructions of the urinary tract (possibly due to kidney stones) and can help with dangerous postpartum bleeding. They treat various types of fibroids and embolization, which is a clot, air bubble or other blockage in the bloodstream. While the types of imaging procedures they perform are more invasive than x-rays done to identify broken bones, pain levels and recovery time are usually minimal.
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Hyun S Kim has the following 10 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
- Celiac Disease
Showing 5 of 25
Dr. Kim, Gastroenterologist, Poway
Self-verified patient of Dr. Hyun S Kim - Posted on January 12th, 2017
Informative, Thurough, Pleasant
Self-verified patient of Dr. Hyun S Kim - Posted on September 10th, 2013
Dr. Kim took time to explain all of the possible reasons for my complaints and offered several options for treatment. She was very thurough in her assesment and very kind. The front office staff was very professional. The only complaint I have is that the wait times can be extra long, even with an appointment.
Disappointed with the doctor in the very first appoitnment
Self-verified patient of Dr. Hyun S Kim - Posted on February 22nd, 2012
As I began talking to her about my symptoms she diligently wrote it down. But she frequently interrupted me saying my symptoms were normal and no cause of worry. I got the impression that she wanted to quickly finish my consultation and be on her way. I have been dealing with food allergies, gas, bloating and weight loss for more than a year now,which according to her is perfectly normal. If OTC anti acids could cure my tummy troubles, why on earth would I consult her?
Excellent GI Physician
Self-verified patient of Dr. Hyun S Kim - Posted on February 17th, 2012
Self-verified patient of Dr. Hyun S Kim - Posted on August 25th, 2011
Dr. Kim is a great doctor. However, she splits her time between two offices and only sees patients on certain days of the week. This makes it difficult to schedule an appointment around her schedule once you start seeing her regularly. Her office won't call you to tell you your test results, you must call them and it may take a couple of days for them to get back to you. Half the time you will get sent to her assistant's voice mail because she's at lunch or went home early. You will be lucky to get a response the same day. If you need a prescription refilled right away, that also might take a while. All in all, Dr. Kim is great at listening to patients, performing procedures and customizing a treatment plan that the patient is comfortable with but her availability makes it difficult to get any of the day to day tasks done in a timely and efficient manner to make your life easier.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Kim is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
28 Years Experience
Albany Medical College
Graduated in 1990
Dr. Hyun S Kim accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
Sharp Health Plan
- Sharp Health Blue Choice
- Sharp Health Gold Value
- Sharp Health Performance
- Sharp Health Premier
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsSAN DIEGO DIGESTIVE DISEASE CONSULTANTS, 8008 Frost St Ste 200, San Diego, CA
Dr. Hyun S Kim is similar to the following 4 Doctors near San Diego, CA.