Dr. Ian M Wattenmaker Is this you?

2.9

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Ian M Wattenmaker?

Horrible Experience

I was referred to this Dr. by my Primary Care Physician. I basically got the feeling that he did not want to fool with doing the surgery suggested. He referred me to another doctor far away from where I work and live that does the same thing he does. I felt the appointment was a waste of time and money. His solution was to "simply cope with the pain". That was his exact words. I am shocked, upset and totally feel like I am back to square one. He does not deserve a star at all.

He has operated on me 3 times

Dr Wattenmaker has performed 3 back surgeries concerning L3,L4, and L5 from 1996 to present. He has an excellent bed side manner and his staff is so helpful. I am very satisfied with my recent surgery!

Excellent care

I was very happy with the level of care I received from Dr Wattenmaker and his staff. He quickly diagnosed the problem and surgery was the answer. I received immediate relief after surgery and the whole experience was wonderful. I would recommend this surgeon.

My visit

Knew about all the options & helped me decide the best care for myself

Very Disappointed and Discouraged

I had an appointment with this man today. I saw two doctors before him who advised me to talk to a surgeon about my herniated disc and pinched nerves. I brought my MRI CD and report to the appointment and he totally blew it off. I explained to him that I was on pain meds and that I did not want to be on pain meds for the rest of my life (I'm 37). I also told him that if I need surgery, I would rather have the surgery while I'm young and healthy. I also told him how my back pain has become progressively worse over the past 15 years and that even having a bowel movements causes severe pain in my lower back that radiates down my legs. He told me that he didn't know why bowel movements make me have severe back pain. He acted like he didn't care. Sever pain after a bowel movement could be related to several different things including pinched nerves in the spine. This man also had the audacity to tell me to stop taking my pain meds, not to get surgery, stay active, and ignore the pain. Unbelievable. If I didn't take my pain meds I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. I read through all of the reviews and I can't understand why he is a professional doctor with good bedside manners to some of his patients and the total opposite to others. I wonder if he's being selective based on the severity of the patient's back pain (i.e., more money earned to treat those patients). He only offers long-term care to patients with severe, chronic spine issues that will require expensive, extensive surgery, or maybe even multiple surgeries. He doesn't want to waste his time on the small bucks. His brochure even says that he's limiting his patients. It's all about the money. I got the Bernie Madoff type of greedy, money hungry jerk vibe from him. He only cares about money. That's it. He's disgusting.

Exceptional Dr. Wattenamker - Washingtonian top 10

Dr. Wattenmaker is exceptional!! He is a very experienced and very nice doctor. I wouldn't be writing this review without him. I was in so much pain and I put myself in Dr. Wattenamekr's hands ...poof...all is well. If you even need his level of services then you can trust him with his expertise and experience. Thank you Dr. Wattenamker.

He seemed rushed and unprofessional. He did apologize for the long delay but I would not recommend him.

He's just arrogant.

DISMISSIVE, POOR BEDSIDE MANNER, MEDICAL PROSTITUTE FOR THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

Not Crazy About Him

There is NO doubt that Dr. Wattenmaker is smart. His credentials are fantastic, HOWEVER, I found him to be pompous and rude. He would ask me questions, then interrupt me constantly and while I was talking kept looking at papers and did not make eye contact like he could care less. He ordered further tests and when I asked him what to do in the meantime, he simply stated to keep doing what I am doing and stay away from narcotics. That was no help whatsoever. I wasn't looking for narcotics and hate pain pills. I am not saying he isn't a smart doctor that knows what he is doing, just that he came across as a complete and total jerk.

Excellent

I first saw Dr Wattenmaker in 2007 for a pinched nerve. He recommended neck surgery immediately. I was frightened and wanted to wait. He agreed to wait but informed me that I would be at risk for permanent nerve damage if surgery was not performed soon. I waited about 4-5 weeks, underwent the surgery and had immediate relief from pain and numbness. He informed me that due to degenerative changes surgery might be needed again. Last fall, I experienced same symptoms of pinched nerve. Had surgery immediately and again good results. I would highly recommend this surgeon.

Absolutely Great

I am also distressed to see the negative reviews on Dr. Wattenmaker. He correctly diagnosed my multiple back problems in 2007. As he put it, my back was a mess. Spondylelithosis, osteoarthritis, spurs, cysts, etc. He did a fusion on my L3-4-5. He warned me that I would feel like I was hit by a truck, and I did. But after the recuperation period and physical therapy, I was back to new again. No pain whatsoever! It is now 2013, 6 years later, and I am still practicing yoga and taking zumba classes and hiking, as well as gardening and doing other chores around the farm. He is a perfectionist! Believe me - that is what you want if you have back surgery. I know so many people who have had surgery that has not turned out well by other doctors. He uses the latest techniques and materials - he is super! He will also not operate if not deemed necessary. He is absolutely the best. I would trust my spine to him any day.