Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James A Schmidt
Dr. James A Schmidt, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Pedro, CA, with another office in San Pedro, CA. He has 35 years of experience. His specialties include Family Medicine. Dr. Schmidt is affiliated with Little Company Of Mary San Pedro Hospital. Dr. Schmidt has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. James A Schmidt has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
Dr. James A Schmidt has the following 7 expertise
- Weight Loss
- Family Planning
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Showing 5 of 26
My family and I have been seeing dr Schmidt for over 15 years. The wait is atrocious, some of the office staff in both the front and back could use a few lessons about friendliness as people do not go there because they want to, usually it is an illness that prompts a visit, however, I would wait all day for a few minutes with Dr. Schmidt. He is by far one of the most kind, compassionate health care professionals I have ever known. He listens to what u have to say, takes his time even if he has a waiting room full of patients, explains everything even when u don't want to hear it and works with u to fix the problem without doing a bunch of unnecessary tests to protect himself. He understands that we are human and don't always do what we should but he DOES NOT shame u for some of the unhealthy choices we make in our lives, but he will tell u what those are without making u feel like a fool and says " it his responsibilty to tell u as your Dr." ugh. I absolutely hate the wait but I no it is worth a few hours of my time. I too have seen his Physician Asst.s and Nurse Practioners and have found them to also be professional and kind, and I always feel comfortable after my visit with them as I no Dr. Schmidt reviews every patients chart that is seen in his office as He has called me to follow up on some issues I may have had.
Although some of his staff was unpleasant, the nurses were excellent, he is a great doctor. I recently recieved some bad news, and he was so worried for me that he called me at home every week to make sure I was doing ok. He was there everytime I needed him at the hospital. He truly cares about his patients.
Dr. Schmidt is quite simply one of the most professional and caring physicians in the San Pedro area. He spends the extra time to fully explain both the diagnosis and prognosis should you have a new medical issue, and will answer any questions you may have. He reminds me of the 'old school' family doctor; indeed, I know of patients he has checked on at their homes! I have been a patient for almost 10 years and his staff is exceptional...starting with Nancy and now Minna, Mary and Bridgette. You might spend a bit more time in the office than you expected, but keep in mind, Dr. Schmidt gives you the extra attention during your visit, which certainly makes you feel value as a patient!
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Schmidt is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
35 Years Experience
University Of California Irvine School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1983
San Pedro Peninsula Hospital
Dr. James A Schmidt accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. James A Schmidt is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Pedro, CA.