Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- IUD Types, risks & benefits of intrauterine devices (IUD) for protection.
- Infertility Facts about infertility, including the risk factors and causes.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Menorrhagia Get the facts about menorrhagia, including the causes, symptoms, and doctors who treat it.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. James W Akin Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
An obstetrician & gynecologist, or OB/GYN, is a physician who cares for women throughout their pregnancies, straight through to the delivery of their baby (obstetrician). They also specialize in annual care, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the female reproductive system (gynecologist). Many physicians specialize in both of these fields in order to provide complete overall health services to women at every stage of life.
Dr. James W Akin Jr has the following 3 expertise
- Hot Flashes
Dr. James W Akin Jr has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. James W Akin Jr is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 52
Not being able to conceive is the most frustrating experience we have ever encountered. Despite kind words from friends and family, there is no true understanding unless you actually go through those challenges. We were told we would not be able to have children without the assistance of fertility treatment, which brought us to Dr. Akin and his team. They were kind and patient with us, and now, a few months later, we are thrilled to be able to share the news that we are expecting! Our family would not have been possible without Dr. Akin and his staff. He and his nurses are knowledgeable, and his staff is one of the friendliest I have encountered in a physician's office.
My wife and I had the worst experience with this doctor. He's insensitive, unorganized, and doesn't care about his patients. He prescribed my wife an antidepressant instead of clomid and told her to take double the dose. Thankfully we caught it and got it fixed. Every appointment he told us to come in for he never put on the schedule so we had to wait forever to get to see him and when we did get to see him he was insensitive. Didn't explain anything, and treated the whole thing like a chore he had to do. We are switching to Dr. Aiken who we have heard great reviews from. Regardless he can't be worse than this guy. I would've done zero stars if I could've.
Dr. Akin and staff were incredibly kind to us. Really did love the office, however with multiple rounds of IVF none of our embryos ever took and unfortunately Dr. Akin was unable to give us a reason why. Went to another fertility clinic and within minutes our new doctor diagnosed me with polycystic ovary syndrome. Extremely common and obvious. Was very disappointed, a lot of money and heartbreak we went through when I could of been treated from the get go. Unfortunately we would not recommend this office. Luckily at the new fertility clinic we are expecting our first child!
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
33 Years Experience
University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1985
University Of Kentucky Medical Center
Dr. James W Akin Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
- Anthem Blue Preferred HMO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
Bluegrass Family Health
- Baptist Health Community Care Network
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsBluegrass Fertility Center, 1760 Nicholasville Rd Ste 501, Lexington, KY
Dr. James W Akin Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Lexington, KY.