Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. James A Akins has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
Showing 5 of 21
I have been going to Dr. Akins for about 11 years now and refuse to see anyone else. He takes the time and sit and talk with you and really listens to your issues and tries to help. If one medication doesn't work, he will try something else. Before giving you a new medication he will explain all side effects, etc.
I drive 2 hours to see Dr. Akins. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years and he is the most caring and responsive physician that I have met. I trust him completely and know that my health is in good hands with him. He always has time to explain things and discuss options. He listens, speaks honestly and spends as much time as he needs to spend. He's the best doc I've met.
DR JAMES AKINS HAS BEEN MY DOCTOR FOR GOING ON ABOUT 15 YEARS ALTOGETHER. HE HAS HELPED ME WHEN NO ONE ELSE COULD. HE HAS SAVED MY LIFE. I HAD TO FOLLOW DR AKINS FROM HIS PRACTICE IN HUNTINGTON TO HURRICANE AND NOW TEAYS VALLEY WV. I WOULD PROBABLY GO OUT OF STATE TO HAVE HIM FOR MY PHYSICIAN. HE IS A TRUE DOCTOR AND GENTLEMAN. I BELIEVE HE IS ONE OF THE BEST DOCTORS I HAVE EVER KNOWN......
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2015, 2016, 2010)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2016, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2010, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014, 2015, 2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Dr. Akins is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
24 Years Experience
Marshall University Joan C Edwards School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1994
Charleston Area Medical Center
Dr. James A Akins accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsTeays Internal Medicine, 111 Great Teays Blvd, Scott Depot, WV
Dr. James A Akins is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Scott Depot, WV.