Dr. James Gibson Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. James Gibson?

Looking to Maximize Billable Visits

Posted on October 11th, 2017

I took my baby to Dr. G after her newborn screen indicated she had a relatively rare genetic abnormality. I was initially shocked and upset at the news, but by the time we had our first meeting with Dr. G (6 months after diagnosis) I had already thoroughly educated myself about the disorder and was very comfortable managing her treatment with the support of our pediatrician. As it turns out, the diagnosis is the scariest part. One paper I read said that if you have to have a rare genetic disorder, my daughter’s is the one to have. It is 100% treatable with a vitamin supplement available at any grocery store. At the first appointment I was happy to be taken back to the exam room with no wait. A nurse came in to take her measurements, then Dr. G came in. I had my then 6 and 4yo with me and could not afford to keep them cooped up in a doctor’s office for very long, especially given that the 4yo was prone to tantrums. The visit with Dr. G lasted 1 hour. Typically I would appreciate a doctor not rushing me. They often make you feel as though every question is painful for them and their time is too valuable to be wasted holding your hand. The problem was I actually did not have many questions, I did not need my hand held, and I would have preferred to get my kids out of there just as quickly as possible. The kids were getting antsy. When my son went into full tantrum mode, he picked up a small stool and slammed it on the floor close to where I had just set the baby down as I was trying to gather our things. This upset me, but before I could react, Dr. G lost it. He went from genial, off-season mall Santa to fuming, beet-red angry grandpa in the flip of a switch. He grabbed the stool off the floor, barking No, Sir! at my son then made a comment about “tan his hide” He then removed himself from the room and pulled himself together. When he came back he acted as though nothing had happened, said his goodbyes and left again. It was all very uncomfortable and upsetting. Dr. G requested a follow-up in 6 months. I asked if it was really necessary. I wanted to understand exactly what would come from this second appointment as I had not seen any benefit to the initial one. I received a call from Dr. G’s nurse ordering a blood draw and urine sample and agreeing to push the follow up for another 6 months. I still did not see any reason to visit with Dr. G again, and I wish I had just said no at the time, but I felt like if, after hearing my concerns, this specialist still insisted on seeing my child, there must be good reason (something more than just an excuse to bill me and my insurance company). After obtaining the samples I received a call from Dr. G’s nurse stating that all looked good, all numbers were in range and normal. At this point I was curious to see what more could possibly need to be said at this follow up. As it turns out, absolutely nothing. The appointment lasted about an hour. Again, no wait. It was basically a long Well Check (2 days after her 15 M Well Check at the pediatrician‘s office). There was absolutely no new information given, except to verify that there really will never be any new information to give. When I received the EOB a month later I was flabbergasted. The appointment was billed as level 4, highly complex. I called to find out what could be done to correct this. That was the beginning of over three months of back and forth with Dr. G’s office, several promises of call backs that never came, many assurances that this would be handled, apologies, but no action except that in the process Dr. G agreed that my daughter’s case could be safely handed over to our pediatrician. Then, a woman from Dr. G’s office called to berate me about the situation, even going so far as to give me contradictory medical information about my daughter’s condition (so far as I could tell, this was an office manager, not a nurse or medical professional). She seemed to be trying to justify the need for a specialist (and the accompanying bills) by “educating” me about just how scary and dangerous my daughter’s condition really is - at the same time trying to mom-shame me (how could I risk not seeing a specialist for my daughter’s dire health needs?) They went from one moment agreeing that there is no need for my daughter to continue seeing a specialist to the next chastising me for arguing that I should never have been dragged in to the specialist in the first place. When a parent is informed that their baby has a rare genetic disorder, it’s a vulnerable and scary time. This office took me for about $400, all told, before I fully caught on to this scam. My insurance company paid hundreds more. I hate to even think how much money this office has fleeced from families in scarier situations and with fewer resources at their disposal. I’m sure there are cases that benefit from Dr. Gibson’s services, but a one-size-fits-all, blanket approach to medical treatment feels disingenuous and underhanded.

Don't pick him as your child's doctor...

Posted on March 20th, 2012

He won't get back to you, if you call his office. He won't answer questions like a normal person - he turns on his odd sense of humor, and pussyfoots around your questions... if he's beind in his work, he just takes a week long vacation, while he leaves you hanging...

Excellent Doctor

Posted on October 25th, 2011

Dr. Gibson is the best physician my children have seen. After years of not getting answers about my children and their disability, Dr. Gibson made a diagnosis in less than a month.

Not willing to work w/ patients

Posted on August 24th, 2011

Needed to get my 2 year old, w/ Pompe Disease, a terminal genetic disease, into either his office for her IV treatment, or into the hospital, for it... he's more interested in going on vacation than helping me and my daughter, who's LIFE depends on her ERT therapy. NOT HAPPY.

Posted on September 27th, 2010

I would recommend dr. Gibson to whoever has some metabolic or related disorder . This is where dr Gibson specializes and would be able to help. Dr Gibson is a very knowledgeable doctor. I am often amazed at his way of working. There are very few doctors like him in united states. He took one year to give us this rare diagnosis that my kids have. He explored everything to get to this diagnosis. He is still working and keeping track on latest researches in this sector to help his patients. We are relieved to be in the safe hands.

this is from amom from ark. children;s hospital

Posted on January 18th, 2009

DR JAMES GIDSON , WAS GREAT WITH MY SON . HE CARED FOR HIM 9 YRS. MY SON HAS A TERMINAL CONDITION CALLED ALD- ADRENOLUEKODYSTROPHEY. I BELIEVE BECAUSE OF DR; GIBSON'S CARE FOR MY SON,THAT HE IS ONE OF THE REASONS MY SON IS ALIVE TODAY. HE'S FIRM TO THE POINT . AND IS WILLING TO TRY NEW DIRECTIONS. WHAT CAN I SAY. HE'S THE BEST.

Posted on July 2nd, 2017