Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. James J Chien has the following 2 specialties
- Pain Medicine
Anesthesiologists are physicians who are trained to administer anesthetics, which are medicines used to block nerve sensation. Anesthesia can be either local to one specific part of a body, like a tooth, or regional to block feeling to a larger portion of the body, such as during an epidural for child birth. It can also be more general to block sensation to the entire body, resulting in unconsciousness.
Anesthesiologists assist in surgery by determining how much anesthesia is necessary and by monitoring the patient's level of responsiveness and vital signs throughout the procedure. The anesthesia specialist will also bring the patient out of anesthesia and then continue to monitor his or her vital signs post-operation.
Besides assisting in surgeries, anesthesiologists may also treat patients suffering from chronic pain.
Dr. James J Chien has the following 12 expertise
- Cancer Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Nerve Block
- Chronic Pain
- Headache Disorders
- Joint Diseases
- Spinal Stenosis
- Complex Regional Pain Syndromes
- Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
- Acute Pain
Dr. James J Chien is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 21
Dr. Chien was exceptionally professional and polite. He listened to my concerns and explained thorougly the diagnosis in terms that I could understand. He explained the treatment and expected outcomes. He also allowed me to determine the extent of the treatment as I was able to resolve my pain issues without completing the full treatment plan as my pain issue was resolved after only two of the three injections prescribed. I am thoroughly pleased with the care I received from Dr. Chien and feel compelled to also commend the staff at The Desert Pain institute. Both those involved in the epidural injection center and the physical therapists were courteous, compassionate and truly seemed to be concerned with my personal well being. I can give my most unreserved recommendation to the doctor and entire staff at The Desert Pain Insitute. I would like to extend my heartfelt thank you to them for resolving my pain issues and allowing me to return to my normal activities.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2015, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
15 Years Experience
Duke University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2003
Dr. James J Chien accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO