Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. James D Foster has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
- Family Planning
- Weight Loss
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 11
I've seen Dr. Foster for separate issues and each time he spent at most a few minutes with me, barely made eye contact, and tried to treat me for issues that seemed beyond his professional abilities. For instance, I was having stomach issues that really should have been referred to a specialist but he stated he could do the same thing as a specialist and I initially trusted him. I also saw him a year before that for anxiety and what ended up being depression but he treated it like it was a cold or a broken bone and did not refer me to a psychiatrist or listen to my symptoms very well. He simply prescribed a generic medicine that had he looked at my chart he would have seen had already been prescribed to me and hadn't worked. He said to me, "this is what we prescribe to everyone" but mental issues should not be treated this way, they should be treated as individual cases and that's when I knew this was beyond his scope of understanding.
My first impression of Dr. Foster was not great. However, it was 4:30 in the afternoon, the end of a long day for him I'm sure. I would not use the words compassionate or sensitive to describe him based on my experience but he was okay. He made an effort to connect, I don't think it's his forte. I didn't get the impression he cared if I was a return patient but he was polite. He does have manners, and he is professional. I would bet a lot of people think he's a great doctor. For me personally, however, I left feeling worse than when I came in.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2010)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2012, 2010)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Dr. Foster is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
35 Years Experience
Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1983
Medical College Of Virginia Hospital
Dr. James D Foster accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 1
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Locationttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr
Locations & DirectionsCommonwealth Primary Care, 2200 Pump Rd Ste 100, Henrico, VA
Dr. James D Foster is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Henrico, VA.