Customer service needs work

I had a procedure scheduled for over a month. I took almost a week off work for this procedure because I was assuming I was going to look off for a few days. The day of my procedure approaches. I live over an hour from their office, so I was leaving early for my appointment. They call me after I am on the road for about 20 minutes, telling me that the doctor won’t be in for my appointment, but they might be able to “squeeze me in” later on the day. Ok that’s fine. I go home and wait for them to call and tell me when. They call back about an hour later and tell me that the doctor could see me, BUT they don’t actually have the product in that is part of my procedure due to a snow storm. My mother lives about 20 minutes from their office and didn’t have any snow, but ok?? They left it at that. Offered me nothing for the inconvenience. I wasted my time, gas, and spent a week off of work for nothing. So yeah, they could say that I never saw them... but it was because of their irresponsible scheduling.

Office staff is pleasant and consultation was very informative.

My contact with the office staff was very pleasant, they were able to answer questions and scheduled my initial consultation without any problems. I came in for the consultation and left feeling like I had everything I needed to make a well information decision. The whole experience from start to finish went smoothly and thus far I'm happy with the outcome.

Excellent, Talented Surgeon

Dr. Fernau performed a rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and otoplasty on me. I am extremely happy with the result. In addition to being extremely talented, he is also very big on patient safety and I would recommend him 1000%. The office staff were always very kind and willing to answer any questions.

Horrible doctor

My sister died the next day after he did a Brazilian butt lift on her.

Awful experience

Horrible Doctor!

DO NOT go to Dr. Fernau! I had a procedure performed by him and the results were terrible. I paid close to $20.000.00 and looked worse afterwards. He would not own up to his mistake. He then wanted me to pay for another procedure to fix his mistake, even though I paid for the insurance. He obviously pockets the insurance money because he don't use it to fix his mistakes. He is a lier, won't own up to his mistakes, very unprofessional, and after he has your money, he then rushes you though your appointment(s). Go elsewhere!!! I will NEVER let Dr. Fernau perform any procedure on me again. I'm out $20,000.00 and look worse than before I went to Dr. Fernau. GOING TO DR. FERNAU WAS THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!

Very happy with my results

I had a Labiaplasty with Dr. Fernau and I'm very happy with my results. He and his staff are great and he just very thorough in expaining your procedure. He truly cares about his patients and their satisfaction with his work. I highly recommend him!

STAY AWAY FROM THIS DR!!!!

He is being sued, or was sued. He is unethical, a liar, and horrible human being. He told me I had some type of disease under my eyes that required surgery. He is an oil salesman that will tell you what you want to hear. He sleeps with his patients, violates HIPPA laws, pays company's to take down bad reviews, which is illegal. He was shut down by the department of health and performing surgery while he was not licensed through the state to do so in his office. He was also performing surgery while taking medication for pain. This man needs to be sued and have his license taken away. His staff is awful as well. Sharon and Cindy I think their names are...incompetent and unprofessional. I'm trying to find a way to find others that have been through this mentally exhausting and horrific event. He also let me go home without bandaging me, I woke up during surgery when he was ripping a stitch through my eye, he lied and change the type of surgery he did without telling me. This man needs to be stopped!!

I had been following the doctor on social media for a year. I knew one day I would reach out to him to help with some issues that I’ve had for years. I finally made the decision a few months ago to take a step to hopefully fix a few things that bother me day in and day out. He was fantastic at our consultation. I kept praising him on how impressed I was with the concern he had with helping me. We proceeded to schedule the first of three sessions to do fat grafting. The first session was extremely painful. I had to be stuck in my face/head with a needle to inject blood. This was done probably 20 times. He knew I was in pain while he did it. It was one of the more painful things I’ve gone through. I was wearing nice work closes and he did an excellent job to keep the blood off. It must have been so bad that he described it as a scene from walking dead. He told me that next time I should consider getting a ride, so that he could give me some kind of medicine to help with the pain. He also mentioned that I should wear clothes that I don’t care about to avoid ruining something nice. The second appointment was scheduled for a month later. We had to cancel several times because of various reason with him being out of the office. Finally, the day comes for the second session appointment. I call an hour ahead of time to verify they want me to get a ride for this appointment. I call an uber and get dropped off at his office at 1:15 for my 1:30 appointment. Around 2 clock they come out and say he has been gone for a while for an emergency at the hospital. However, they were not exactly sure when he would be back. They were nice and were trying to accommodate me on what I wanted to do. I understood about the emergency and said I would wait in the waiting room. 20 or so minutes later they came back out and say okay he called and is on his way. Come on back and we will get started. I said let me use the restroom real quick. The woman said give me the name/number of the person you have picking you up. I said I took uber to get down here. She said oh I don’t know that he will let you leave with an uber. Obviously, I’m shocked at this point. I was escorted into the room after using the restroom. I was then told I would not be allowed to leave with an uber. I explained I was not told to not use an uber. I started to get frustrated after I had sat in the waiting room for that long. I was told I would have to go the route of the more painful method of doing the procedure, if I don’t have a “friend” pick me up. I could have drove myself, if we were going down this path. I was not happy about this and explained it was not acceptable. We need to find a solution to this. I told them I understand why they don’t want to allow people to leave with an uber. I didn’t know I was going to be put under some kind of anesthesia. I thought it was going to be some kind of strong pain medicine that you can’t drive on. I would have known (from previous experiences), if I was told I was going to be given anesthesia. I had an opportunity to get a ride with a friend but declined. I didn’t want to have someone waiting for hours on me. Which, would have happened today since the doctor wasn’t even on site yet (2 hours after my arrival before he showed up). The office had an opportunity to tell me that he was running behind when I called earlier. They could have called me when they had a better idea of his arrival, so I wasn’t waiting around for hours. Otherwise, they could have rescheduled like they previous did multiple times. I believe they called him several times to explain my displeasure. I was left with the option of leaving, finding someone to pick me up, or doing the more painful method and getting an uber. I was frustrated and irate after I spent $42 on uber down. Then to find someone to pick me up last minute and probably have to drive 30-45 minutes. I stood there looking at my phone trying to figure out who I should call. The workers who were assisting me just sat there and starred at me. Then said what do you want to do? I explained I’m not sure what to do yet (It wasn’t in my nicest tone). Then they proceeded to kick me out of the room and made me go back into the waiting room. I sat there for about 10-15 minutes trying to decide what I should do. Finally, I text my brother and he agreed to drive 45 minutes after just getting off of work. I went to the window and asked to see the ladies again. They came out and I explained I spoke to my brother and he will get me. They seemed excited to move forward and start the second session. They walked me back into the room. The doctor walked in the building just as we were about to get started. He came into the room and shook my hand and said are you ready? I then proceeded to explain to him why I was frustrated. I wanted to make sure we were clear that I wasn’t aware about the uber thing. I didn’t want him to think I was causing an issue over nothing. The situation was not explained to me at the prior session. Obviously, I would have taken my friend up on the ride offer if I knew there would be an issue. I wouldn’t have wasted my money on an uber. It makes zero sense that I would do all of this, if they had told me I can't take an uber home. Anyhow, I explained that it wasn’t communicated to me. Also, I sat here for almost 2 hours because he wasn’t even here. Why wouldn’t anyone tell me when I called earlier to verify I should get a ride? They could have told me they weren’t sure when he would be back. I wasted a lot of time sitting there. My time is valuable just like everyone else’s. The doctor seemed to get defensive about my comments. He explained to me that he is the one who told me about the ride (which he was) and that he does this all the time. He explained he has had issues with the uber thing before, so he is very specific about what he says every time. So, why would I take an uber then? I wore clothes that I didn’t care about as he advised. Why wouldn’t I just get a ride to avoid all of this? I would have known this would have been an issue. Then the conversation turned into him not feeling comfortable with me. He was worried I was going to sue. Now I’m being characterized as someone who is going to sue because I voiced my concern with how everything was communicated. I explained that I just wanted him to understand why I felt the way I did. Then he proceeded to ask me if he needed to call security? Obviously, he has no idea how this can make someone feel. Then he questioned me on how can he believe me that it’s my brother who is picking me up? At this point I’m shocked that I’m being attacked like this. I already have self esteem issues and that is why I’m there seeing him. Now I’m feeling like I did something wrong. He then says he can’t have me as a patient. I proceeded to say that’s not going to make the situation any better. He then came back at me saying I now threatened him. I replied that I was stating that now I’m going to have to start over. That is not going to help the situation (me). I guess he doesn’t understand the emotional/physically stress that goes into having these procedures. Now I’m embarrassed in front of the entire office standing in the hallway watching/listening. I grabbed my stuff and left as he asked. It’s really tough to do go through all the pain in the first session, and then be told he won’t proceed any further. I have never sued a sole in my life. Everyone makes mistakes in life. Apparently, a doctor never makes a mistake with how things are communicated to a patient. I could have kept my mouth shut and we would have proceeded with the procedure. However, I get dropped in the middle of a three step process because I decide to voice my concern over a communication issue. I would have been open to the feed back had the roles been reversed. I wouldn’t shift all the blame on the customer. There is always a chance a mistake can happen and things weren’t communicated as they should have been. It was an opportunity for us to make sure we communicated well with one another. This situation was over by the time he arrived and wasn’t even a big deal at this point (in my mind). He was there ready to move forward and I had my brother on the way to pick me up. I would have kept my mouth shut knowing what I know now. I was excited to get this done and get all three sessions over with. It’s been a long journey for me and I felt I was in the hands of someone who would help with regain some of my self esteem. I’m now completely distraught over what my next step will be to move forward in my life. It’s not easy to find a doctor that you can trust and feel comfortable with. It can be a long process once you do. Now I’m in a position of having to start over. I know I wasn’t the best person I could have been with the ladies trying to assist me. I was frustrated and irritated by how everything played out. I cooled off in the waiting room and got things figured out on how to proceed. However, I don’t think it was right to push me out the door for explaining why I was frustrated earlier. It was even more wrong to accuse me of things that he did.

Dr. James L Fernau is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Pittsburgh, PA.