Get the facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including the conditions and medications that can cause it.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- Overactive Bladder Facts about overactive bladder (OAB): risk factors, symptoms & causes.
- Prostate Cancer Get the facts about prostate cancer, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James B Karol
Dr. James B Karol, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Oakland, CA. He has 45 years of experience. His specialties include Urology. Dr. Karol is affiliated with San Ramon Regional Medical Center, Childrens Hospital Oakland Main Hospital and Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Alta Bates Campus. Dr. Karol has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. James B Karol has the following 1 specialty
A urologist is a physician who specializes in diagnosing and treating conditions affecting the male reproductive system, as well as the urinary tracts of both males and females.
These doctors cover the kidneys, ureter, urinary bladder, adrenal glands, urethra, and the male reproductive organs which include the testes, epididymis, vas deferens, seminal vesicles, prostate and penis. Some common disorders that urologists treat are urinary tract infections (UTI), stress incontinence, benign prostatic hyperplasia, kidney stones, erectile dysfunction, kidney cancer, prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and cystitis. These urological specialists also perform vasectomies and vasectomy reversals.
- Overactive Urinary Bladder
- Kidney Stones
- Prostate Cancer
- Urologic Emergencies
- Bladder Issues
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 16
In 57 years this is the worst patient service I have ever encountered. Waiting over a week for Dr Karol's office to call in a simple Rx (and still no resolution). Practice has very customer unfriendly automated answering system. Then, on the off chance you do get to talk to a human being, there is no action taken anyway. Apparently staff in his office do not talk to each other. Subsequent calls as to why simple request cannot be granted are always explained by, "it wasn't my fault, I didn't know". Evidently no one in this office knows anything, because they can't get even simple tasks accomplished. God forbid you should have to rely on these people for some important treatment or surgery.
Dr. Karol came highly recommended for his ability to perform robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomies. This reccommendation was WELL FOUNDED! I appreciated his confident manner and explanations of the procedure....he was VERY thorough. My surgery was a success...no blood transfusions and with little post-op discomfort. I was released the next day with no complications. His follow-up has been excellent. I was told that he is one of the best with this procedure and I believe it. He's a "straight shooter" and, basis my surgery and recovery, can highly recommend him for this procedure.
Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Karol is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
45 Years Experience
Indiana University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1973
Dr. James B Karol accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsNorcal Urology Medical Group, 3300 Webster St Ste 710, Oakland, CA
Dr. James B Karol is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Oakland, CA.