Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Cancer Get the facts you need about cancer.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James D Mackey
Dr. James D Mackey, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Southlake, TX, with other offices in Plano, TX and Arlington, TX (and 1 other location). He has 18 years of experience. His specialties include Hospice & Palliative Medicine, Medical Oncology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Mackey is affiliated with Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. James D Mackey has the following 3 specialties
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Think of an oncologist as your main physician for cancer care. After being diagnosed, you’ll meet regularly with an oncologist to explore and manage your treatment options, as well as monitor your condition throughout the process. Medical oncologists are extremely knowledgeable in various types of cancer treatment and can recommend the right method for the type and stage of cancer you’re facing.
They may also refer you to additional specialists throughout your care, but they will always be your home base for questions and support. It’s also worth mentioning that medical oncologists deal mostly with solid tumors while hematologists specialize in cancers that involve blood disorders, such as leukemia.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. James D Mackey has the following 7 expertise
- Urinary Bladder Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Metastatic Breast Cancer
Dr. James D Mackey is Board Certified in 3 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 18
I found him to be straight forward and answered all my questions. Chemo is not easy but they made me feel comfortable while going through it. I would recommend him to anyone with cancer.
My experience was not the best. Every other round of chemo landed me in the ER with a 5 day hospital stay with Mackey no where in site or even being able to get in touch with. After the 4th round, 2nd hospital stay and 1st blood transfusion I thought it best to end our doctor patient relationship. Be advised once you begin chemo most oncologists will not take you mid treatment so switching to finish treatment is near to impossible so research oncologists before you comit. Dr. Mackey might do well with blood disorders but I felt he had no idea about care for side effects of chemo for breast cancer. I personally would not recommend him for a Dr. Good luck.
Dr. Mackey is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
18 Years Experience
The University Of Texas School Of Medicine At San Antonio
Graduated in 2000
Dr. James D Mackey accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
Ambetter Superior Health Plan
- Ambetter Superior Health Plan
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TX Blue Advantage HMO
- BCBS TX BlueChoice
- BCBS TX HMO Blue Texas
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Scott and White
- Scott and White PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. James D Mackey in this video.
Dr. James D Mackey is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Southlake, TX.