Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- Cancer Get the facts you need about cancer.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Head and Neck Cancer Facts about head and neck cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Lymphoma Lymphoma symptoms & the difference between Hodgkin's & Non-Hodgkin's.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
About Dr. James Martenson
Dr. James Martenson, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Rochester, MN. He has 32 years of experience. His specialties include Radiation Oncology and Radiology. Dr. Martenson is affiliated with Mayo Clinic Hospital - Rochester (Methodist), Essentia Health St. Mary's Medical Center and Mayo Clinic Hospital - Rochester (Saint Mary's). Dr. Martenson has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. James Martenson has the following 2 specialties
- Radiation Oncology
A radiation oncologist is a physician who specializes in the use of nuclear medicine in diagnosing and treating cancer in a patient.
These doctors work in concert with other cancer specialists in order to determine the best form of treatment for a specific patient. Radiation oncologists are in charge of determining the correct dose of radiation to be used in treatments like radiotherapy and chemotherapy, as well as the appropriate amount of time that radiation should be administered in order to maximize the therapeutic benefits.
A radiologist is a physician who specializes in the use of medical imaging to diagnose and treat illnesses or injuries in patients.
The different types of medical imaging are X-ray, computed tomography (CT) scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, and nuclear medicine.
Radiologists are experts in these different types of tests and can advise a primary care doctor on which test is most appropriate in a specific case. These doctors also assist primary care doctors in analyzing the images produced by these tests in order to determine next steps necessary for treatment.
Dr. James Martenson has the following 24 expertise
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy
- Anal Cancer (Anus Neoplasms)
- Bone Marrow and Lymphatic Tissue Cancer (Hematologic Neoplasm)
- Breast Cancer
- Clinical Research
- Colon Cancer
- Esophagus Cancer (Esophogeal Neoplasm)
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Glandular Cancer (Adenocarcinoma)
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Lung Cancer
- Lymphatic Metastasis
- Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Patient Care
- Radiation Injuries
- Rectal Cancer
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- Stomach Cancer
Dr. James Martenson has 1 board certified specialty
Dr. James Martenson is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 4
Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise. Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise.
Dr. Martenson is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Mayo Clinic Hospital - Rochester (Methodist)
Essentia Health St. Mary's Medical Center
Mayo Clinic Hospital - Rochester (Saint Mary's)
Essentia Health St Mary's Hospital - Detroit Lakes
Mayo Clinic Health System - Albert Lea and Austin
Mayo Clinic Rochester Methodist Hospital
Mayo Clinic Rochester - Rochester Methodist
32 Years Experience
University Of Washington School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1981
Mayo Clinic And Medical School
Dr. James Martenson accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Medica Choice
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- WPS Group
Locations & DirectionsMayo Clinic, 200 1st St SW, Rochester, MN
Dr. James Martenson is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Rochester, MN.