Dr. James Ooi Is this you?

3.8

Have you seen Dr. James Ooi?

Lose Weight with Dr. Ooi

Posted on July 10th, 2017

After reaching an all time high for my weight and new to Chico, I asked around for a referral to a weight loss physician. The first two people I asked mentioned Dr. Ooi, so I scheduled an appointment, not knowing what to expect. Well, his weight loss (or more, healthy eating plan) really works...and you will lose pounds quickly. I generally believe any diet will work if you stick to it, but I was in panic mode and was looking for something more than a 1/2 lb or 1 lb a week. On his plan, over my first 2 months I averaged 4 3/4 lbs a week. The diet is manageable with very little cooking (which suits me just fine). It's akin to ripping off a Band-Aid quickly versus trying to peel it off slowly. So if you are a "rip off the band-aid" type of person...a "lets get this show on the road and get it done", this is for you. It's a qualitative diet, meaning you need to stick to what is on the plan. But I can tell you after 2 months and then having a week off the diet, I felt terrible I was not on the plan. That makes staying on it much easier because you feel - lighter, not just pound-wise, but lighter overall. If you do not losing weight or are not losing the amount each week Dr. Ooi expects to see, he will challenge you. He'll review the plan with you and ask what you are doing. I thought I was doing quite well, not perfect, but very well and was happy. However, when I lost only 2 1/2 lbs one week, Dr. Ooi worked me over! I was drilled about when I was eating, was I eating the 3 cups of raw veggies and lunch and dinner, what was I drinking, etc. I didn't think 1 diet soda or Arnold Palmer (1/3 lemonade and 2/3 ice tea) would have an impact, but wrong wrong wrong. Even the diet lemonade (15 calories for 8 ounces) has corn fructose syrup and that sabotages your efforts. Small things can trip you up....but Dr. Ooi will get it out of you and put you back on the right path. I've enjoyed success on Dr. Ooi's plan and that was what I was after, but I am also happy to say that the office staff is friendly, courteous and very professional. And as for Dr. Ooi, if isn't going to let you be a slacker. If he is not seeing the results he wants, he will work with you to figure out where you're not compliant with the plan....and if you don't step up to the challenge, he will definitely get on you about being more disciplined and making more of an effort. So if you're thin-skinned and think weight loss should be "oh, how wonderful, you lost 4 ounces this week"....this is not for you. But take it from me, if you want a plan that is very doable, involves little cooking, gets fast results, and challenges you....go see Dr. Ooi!

Posted on January 30th, 2016

Great program for weight loss _ just follow what he says and do your daily walking

Overall Great

Posted on October 14th, 2015

I was very hesitant to go to Dr. Ooi for what I have read on this site and others about how blunt and rude at times. Mr Dr. referred me to him due to my health of diabetics. I went to his office in Chico and was pleasantly surprised how sweet Dr. Ooi was and listened to me and my husband about my declining health issues. To me he was great and understanding. I have been going to the Corning office and seeing Dr. Adam as well and care for them both, they are both very helpful in my weight loss betterment of life. I have been going to them for 7 weeks and lost 30 lbs. and 4 inches around my waist. There are times it can be difficult for I am not a veg. eater, but I have found I do like and enjoy them. My problem is eggs I detest them and Dr. Ooi and Dr. Adam have been working with me on other ideas for my breakfast meal. Thank you Both.

Worst Office Staff

Posted on September 1st, 2015

Dr. Ooi himself is a great guy and will spend a good amount of time with you during your visit. That being said, his office looks like it hasn't been updated in ANY way since the 70's (even carpet in gyn exam rooms...big no-no), and his office staff is absolutely horrible. I have seen Dr. Ooi approximately 7-10 times now and the issues I have had so far have been extensive. When calling to make an appointment, no one EVER answers the phone, the answering machine has no professional message so you will just get the generic automated "you have reached blah blah number. To leave a message..."; you really could be calling someone's personal cell for all you can tell. When you do leave a message, don't expect to get a call back. There are times I have to leave more than 5 messages on different days before I get a call back. It could take weeks, and when I do finally get a call back and make a point to mention how long it has taken to be able to schedule, the front office lady makes NO attempt to even feign an apology. She very clearly does not care whatsoever how her laziness and lack of professionalism has negatively impacted your life. All in all, I have now decided to discontinue going to this office for the above listed reasons. It's very frustrating to find a good doctor and find out they have horrible office staff. I will not recommend anyone to use this office.

Great Doctor

Posted on July 17th, 2014

Everyone is very nice in his office. Dr. Ooi really helped me lose weight!

awesome!

Posted on September 22nd, 2010

I went in for weight loss. He was very honest with me. I was fat. I have now lost 51 lbs in the last year. He knows what he is talking about. Every time I go in, I get counseling about eating habit's,health issues that I might be having etc... When I leave I feel so much better about myself and "know" that I am on the road to better health.

Posted on October 29th, 2017