- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James R Alexander
Dr. James R Alexander, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Asheville, NC. He has 35 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Alexander is affiliated with Carolinas Medical Center, Carolinas Medical Center Mercy and Carolinas Medical Center Pineville. He speaks English.
Book Online Now
Dr. James R Alexander has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.<br>These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. James R Alexander has the following 10 expertise
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Celiac Disease
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Hepatitis C
- Abdominal Pain
Showing 3 of 4
Self-verified patient of Dr. James R Alexander - Posted on January 23rd, 2017
Did not listen to me and made me uncomfortable with his supposed profession
Self-verified patient of Dr. James R Alexander - Posted on October 28th, 2015
My brother has a debilitating disease and has tried on several occasions to get into the office to see the doctor. This all started 4 months ago when he got a phone call to tell him about the results of a test. I have never in all my years of being in the clinical field heard of a doctors office giving those types of results over the phone. Absolutely ridiculous and when my brother asked what he should do she said wait until 3 months and come in for a follow up visit. Then this morning he finally gets his appointment he was 13 minutes late due to traffic they said he needed to reschedule because the 8:30 am appointment had shown up early. NO...what type of business are you running? Unethical. Please do not go there its not for the patient.
Self-verified patient of Dr. James R Alexander - Posted on April 19th, 2015
I went to a specialist for a painful and chronic condition. There was no explanation of what could be causing this , and seemed the only option was endoscopy and colonoscopy for testing...no attempt was made to resolve continued pain and symptoms. No referrals...just Good Luck. This is a large medical practice and that was all I got...except a bill. Still seeking treatment a year later. Unreal.
Dr. Alexander is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
35 Years Experience
University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1983
University Of Utah Health Care
Dr. James R Alexander accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
BCBS North Carolina
- BCBS NC Blue Value
- BCBS NC BlueOptions
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Carelink - Carolinas HealthCare System Tier 2
- First Health PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsASHEVILLE GASTROENTEROLOGY, 191 Biltmore Ave, Asheville, NC
Dr. James R Alexander is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Asheville, NC.